Author Topic: Best Tyres  (Read 37287 times)

Offline bazza950

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Ct 2018,DCTwhite
  • City / Town: whitchurch,shrop
Re: Bridgestone
Reply #96 on: November 27, 2020, 03:45:00 PM
I asked Bridgestone tech dept what tyre to put on the front of my bike to go with the A41 rear tyre-they said the A41 front.I did ask if the "newer" T1 would be ok,or the no doubt even more wonderful T32 - but no stick with the A41 they said.But dont fit the OEM recommended one
I am panting with excitement as they sell the T32 as the best thing since sliced bread ,so much better than the earlier -but obviously rubbish T31 - but can't wait for t33 which will obviously last forever and stick like s**t to a banket.
the weirdest tyre i ever had was an Avon ,not sure which bike it was on, but it NEVER wore out and I eventually changed it out of boredom rather than anything else!

Offline __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Brunssum
Re: Best Tyres
Reply #97 on: November 27, 2020, 08:10:25 PM
*Originally Posted by DEMBONES [+]
In my case been riding for 40 years and know exactly which tires mix well for my purposes.  I can actually get higher performance from an specifically mixed set than with simply just buying new matched tires.  To each his own, but many, many years of experience means more to me than just what the manufacturer wants to tell me I "need."
If that's so than you also know what tyres don't mix well.
You're posting on a open forum and saying mixing is no problem can bring others in very dangerous situations when they mix the wrong tyres. It can even be caused by the perfect mix but front should be back and back should be front.
If you don't understand tyres and what makes them perform the way they do just stick to a matching set.

Offline bazza950

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #98 on: November 27, 2020, 09:15:29 PM
Well Ray ofcourse you are right, in the Politically Correct  world one would never deviate from what the maker's recommend -at all.Unfortunately they aren't always right - like on my NC the maker's recommended tyres completely wore out in 1500 miles and i assure you I am not a nutter rider! Honda paid for new ones -not admitting liability ofcourse!
In your EU world you cannot buy ONE tyre on a car if for example you puick up a nail in the side wall-you have to buy a pair. Can you explain the logic of that to me? same make tyres on same axle -yes understood -but isn't it just a license for the tyre sellers to make money?

Online Younger06

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Naas, Co.Kildare
Reply #99 on: November 27, 2020, 09:23:40 PM
*Originally Posted by bazza950 [+]
Well Ray ofcourse you are right, in the Politically Correct  world one would never deviate from what the maker's recommend -at all.Unfortunately they aren't always right - like on my NC the maker's recommended tyres completely wore out in 1500 miles and i assure you I am not a nutter rider! Honda paid for new ones -not admitting liability ofcourse!
In your EU world you cannot buy ONE tyre on a car if for example you puick up a nail in the side wall-you have to buy a pair. Can you explain the logic of that to me? same make tyres on same axle -yes understood -but isn't it just a license for the tyre sellers to make money?

I live in Ireland (EU) and I regularly replace single punctured car tyres..........no laws to say I can't.
Let's leave politics out of this tyre discussion.
"Howya horsebox"

Offline __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #100 on: November 28, 2020, 08:02:33 AM
*Originally Posted by bazza950 [+]
Let's not talk about cars and and also not the EU as if they are on the same page because on some subjects they're not even reading the same book.
Tyres on new bikes also aren't the tyres you think and that's a part i don't understand why they do it the way they do.
Bike manufacturers go to the tyre manufacturers with a price they want to pay and minimum demands what the tyre need to achieve.
Tyre manufacturers then take a regular mold but fill it with a lesser mix of parts and material to require the minimum demands for the lowest price resulting in a tyre that wears down in no time.
And that's the part i don't understand because in my opinion you loose a lot of customers. When is have a tyre like that on a new bike don't knowing this i will look at the brand and say "I will never buy this sh#t for myself".
What was on the NC? I think is was a Michelin because i know they where factory mounted on new NC's at some point. They renew the OEM contracts about every 2 years and then the brands can also change when another company comes with a lower offer within the requirements.
I know the CB500X (previous model) had Michelins witch lasted about 2000mls but the same tyre bought from the (tyre)dealer lasted more than 7000mls on that same bike (bike of a friend witch he bought new).

And to be clear.
I don't say you have to buy the tyre recommended by the manufacturer or even dealer but i say don't mix if you don't know what tyres really are and do (or don't do). No matter what others say.
Asking on forums is a good thing but you have to use it as a guideline and filter out what's not for you.
You also have to know that facts are facts but for some parts a personal wish or need changes those facts.
Tyres and windscreens are the 2 items on witch that apply the most.

Offline bazza950

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #101 on: November 29, 2020, 07:27:29 AM
Thanks Ray,
Tyres do puzzle me! Whilst I have no interest in Formula one it seem that the needs of  racing don't vary -maybe some tracks require different perameters -ie some may have a faster straight or another may have more bends.When the drivers are using 1000 hp you would think that the makers would have it all sussed - giving years of the same needs.They dont have to last long,unlike a road vehicle
Our situation is far less complicated so given the demands of our bike whats the big problem getting it right? same power for 8 years,weight and use so they should have an ideal tyre - maybe 2 varieants,one purely on road and one dual purpose.
Would love to know from a tyre expert some answers.

Offline __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #102 on: November 29, 2020, 08:05:00 AM
Bike manufacturers have no interest in the best tyre, they want the cheapest tyre.
They do need to be safe that's why they have the minimum requirements.
We (the riders) all have different needs or taste if you will and that makes it also not useful for the manufacturers to spent time and money in tyres for new bikes.
Tyres are just like oil an everlasting discussion on forums and often for the wrong reasons and not rarely without any knowledge of the subject.
Tyretests are also not really usefull because they are never scientific and also never on every bike.
The tests are done by people who have just like all of us their own wishes on how a tyre must feel or behave and i've never seen a test where they used a Crosstourer. Even the longevity when they take that in isn't really usefull i think. I've noticed that there is a big difference with the longevity in the same tyre with different users but don't know why that is.
Is it because one person say it's worn out when the start cuping and the other ride until the wearmarks say so or like some people only when the canvas is coming through?
Tyres are difficult and i only can say that i have good experience with Michelin. I will try other brands once in a while but i keep coming back to them but that's because how i ride and what i need in a tyre and it might be a completely rubbish tyre for you.
I can say why i like it and share experiences with the different models and other brands but i cannot tell you what you have to buy.
I only can say, don't mix unless you know what you're doing and don't buy anything because somebody said so. Only use the experiences from others trying to find what may suite you but in the end it's always a gamble when you change what you have.
The modern tyres are all good enough, only a few or maybe even just one is perfect..... for you.

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #103 on: November 29, 2020, 10:56:09 AM
There is another factor in the whole tyre debate which I feel has more bearing on choice than anything and that’s confidence. Though on mileage Ray makes a fair point, some feel that when’s tyres slightly squared it sdone, others will ride it until it’s a slick.

I think most tyres from the major brands are better than most riders. This goes for the whole bike to be honest.  Rossi could ride faster than me in the wet on my bike with any tyre on the market so it’s not the tyre is it.
 I don’t buy Bridgestones anymore, had a set years ago, very early on had a few scary slides and put me right off the brand. Probably irrational but when I’m happy with Michelin why go to another?

On the mixing tyre question, obviously  it’s up to the individual. The question for me on this is,  some tyres feel different when turning in due to profile. For example I think Anakees seem to roll in to a corner progressively , linear if you like. Where as a pair of Road 4s I had felt as if they dropped into a corner very quickly. To the point it caught me out in the first roundabout after fitting.
 Now these are tyres from the same manufacturer with a different profile. So what would happen if you had different profiles front to rear?

arab-exile