Author Topic: Best Tyres  (Read 37472 times)

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Estero
Re: Best Tyres
Reply #88 on: November 18, 2020, 02:57:45 AM
*Originally Posted by Younger06 [+]
I'm gonna come straight out and say it..........the Conti Trail Attack 3 is a fantastic tyre. I collected the bike after having the tyres fitted on a very wet day, not a problem to the Conti's.......confidence as soon as the wheels started to turn. Have been out on a few dry cold days also and I can't see anyone being disappointed with the cornering performance of these.
Only time will tell how they wear.

How you feel about the Contis is how I feel about the Roadsmarts.   I hear good things about the Contis; most share your opinion. 

Offline Younger06

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Naas, Co.Kildare
Reply #89 on: November 18, 2020, 06:39:16 AM
*Originally Posted by mzflorida [+]
How you feel about the Contis is how I feel about the Roadsmarts.   I hear good things about the Contis; most share your opinion.

I absolutely loved the Dunlop RSIII. The only criticism I would have is that the front thread blocks started to "scallop" at around 6000kms

I got a fantastic deal on the Conti's and the bike was in for a service anyway so I just changed them out.........otherwise the Dunlops would still be on.
"Howya horsebox"

Offline bazza950

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Ct 2018,DCTwhite
  • City / Town: whitchurch,shrop
Reply #90 on: November 18, 2020, 05:21:11 PM
I was very pleased with Pilot 4's on a NC but that's a lighter,less powerful bike - need a new front to work well with a nearly new Bridgestone rear -suggestions?

Offline Younger06

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Naas, Co.Kildare
Reply #91 on: November 26, 2020, 12:04:51 PM
*Originally Posted by bazza950 [+]
I was very pleased with Pilot 4's on a NC but that's a lighter,less powerful bike - need a new front to work well with a nearly new Bridgestone rear -suggestions?

Personally, I would match the front to the rear......If the rear is a Bridgestone XYZ, I would put the same Bridgestone XYZ on the front..........or change both if you want to try a different tyre.
"Howya horsebox"

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
Reply #92 on: November 26, 2020, 02:08:26 PM
*Originally Posted by Younger06 [+]
Personally, I would match the front to the rear......If the rear is a Bridgestone XYZ, I would put the same Bridgestone XYZ on the front..........or change both if you want to try a different tyre.

Plenty of owners mix and match with no ill effect.  I say buy what works for you!

Offline __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Brunssum
Reply #93 on: November 26, 2020, 08:39:56 PM
*Originally Posted by DEMBONES [+]
Plenty of owners mix and match with no ill effect.  I say buy what works for you!
Correct... if you ride like a grandma or know what tyres do work together.
A Michelin doesn't match very well with most other brands because of the softer walls witch cause a different sideway movement.
Another thing which is important is the griplevel. When those are different you want the front tyre to be the one with the most grip. At the rear it's easier to deal with some sliding, on the front you're going down very easy.
But you miss out a lot by not changing tyres per set. Nothing rides better as a fresh set and most people count a complete other tyre because they have to pay a complete tyre but you don't throw away a complete tyre but only 10 or 20% and that is a small price for the joy of a fresh set.

Offline Phil X

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #94 on: November 27, 2020, 11:47:56 AM
Totally agree with you !!!  :028:

I don't care to throw away a 30% worn tire I would much rather drive with two new tires  :046:

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
Reply #95 on: November 27, 2020, 03:14:20 PM
In my case been riding for 40 years and know exactly which tires mix well for my purposes.  I can actually get higher performance from an specifically mixed set than with simply just buying new matched tires.  To each his own, but many, many years of experience means more to me than just what the manufacturer wants to tell me I "need." 
Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:15:22 PM by DEMBONES

arab-exile