Author Topic: Best Tyres  (Read 30566 times)

Offline __Ray__

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Maasbracht
Re: Best Tyres
Reply #72 on: September 23, 2020, 10:33:42 PM
*Originally Posted by Plane Dr [+]
Interested in the Commander 2.  Stupid Covid I still have a set of annakees in the attic about to go on.  The Roads are a consistent 6K miles.  I would like to throw a tire on that I could squeak 10K on since there is nothing close in TX.  I hate that road trips either require a new tire before you leave or an immediate replacement.  It would me nice to have more flexibility.
Maybe you should check your suspension because i get 9 to 10k on the Road and also on the Adventure.
Now about 5k in 4 weeks on the Adventures on lots of bad mountain roads and less than 1k highway and they're about halfway. That was fully loaded on a roadtrip to Sicily.

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
Reply #73 on: September 28, 2020, 12:39:54 PM
Suspension?

3rd set of tires, stock and 2 sets of Roads.  All 6-6.5K.  4th will be the Anakees.  I like or expect a minimum 8K I like to see 10.  Normally I do 10-12K a year so 2 sets of tires a year is questionable.  I am staying on the "road" bias tires on the VFR as I enjoy it's road manners.  That said I ran the older tourances for years, on 3 or 4 different sizes and types  of bikes, and I got 10-12K a set, in fact I got the normal 1.5 front:1 rear ratio.  The were always "okay".  I just enjoy the performance of the slightly more road oriented tire.  But if this keeps up I will sacrifice for mileage.

Ha one advantage to Tourances I had 1 size on a couple different bikes, so sale?  buy a couple....

We are coming into the nice riding season here.  But with the whole Covid thing my commute from the computer to the fridge is the longest trip of my day..  I've actually started the "Sunday" ride.  Never done that in the past was always commute and road trips.

I too agree I ride the VFR like I stole it, and I can pack it like a mule.  The fat old man bikes on Tourances were just that.
Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 12:44:48 PM by Plane Dr
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
Reply #74 on: September 29, 2020, 03:01:24 AM
Suspension my arse.   :010:

99.9% of VFRX owners get 5-7K miles out of any rear tire.  If you get 10-15K you either:

A. Weigh 120lbs soaking weight
    B. Ride the bike like a little old lady
    C. All of the above

Offline GA VFR

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: too many
  • City / Town: Alpharetta, GA
Reply #75 on: September 29, 2020, 03:15:18 AM
Check/adjust the air pressure in your tires every time before you go riding, it will add miles to your tires!  About to install the third set on my 2016 bought new in 2018.  Michelin Road 5s again as they are a great all purpose tire 
Follow your front wheel

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
Reply #76 on: October 01, 2020, 01:32:43 AM
*Originally Posted by GA VFR [+]
Check/adjust the air pressure in your tires every time before you go riding, it will add miles to your tires!  About to install the third set on my 2016 bought new in 2018.  Michelin Road 5s again as they are a great all purpose tire

Yep, been doing that since buying the bike 4 years ago (and doing it for over 30 years on every other bike I've owned.)  Still can't get more than 6.5K out of any rear on this big, powerful, heavy machine.

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #77 on: October 01, 2020, 04:11:44 AM
I’d never heard of the Michelin Commander tyre. Had a look on the Michelin website and it doesn’t list it as a suitable fit for the CT? Looked a bit more and found it listed as a cruiser tyre.
I suppose it’s going to be made for bikes that make the CT look light which may explain the good mileage. Be very interested to see how the feel compared to a Road 5 which is specified for the bike.

Online Younger06

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '16 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Naas, Co.Kildare
Reply #78 on: October 01, 2020, 09:57:43 PM
Anyone running Conti TA3 on the Crosstourer..............what is the general concensus??
"Howya horsebox"

Offline GA VFR

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: too many
  • City / Town: Alpharetta, GA
Reply #79 on: October 02, 2020, 02:08:51 AM
I have the Michelin Commander II up front and Road Pilot on the back of my 2014 Honda F6C Valkyrie, both great tires.  Pilot Road 5s on the VFR 12X
Follow your front wheel

arab-exile