Author Topic: FITTING HEATED GRIPS  (Read 3927 times)

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
FITTING HEATED GRIPS
on: November 09, 2013, 08:41:39 PM
Thinking of fitting heated grips (OXFORD HOT GRIPS) ... is it a difficult job to lift tank and get to battery to feed cables ? Do I need to remove all front fairing fixings ? I have GIVI protection bars fitted, so is this a problem to remove fairing panels and lift tank ?

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Re: FITTING HEATED GRIPS
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:21:43 PM
Battery can be seen by removing the seat. For a simple install, just go off of the terminals there but make sure you fit correct in line fuses ;-)

Offline andym

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: crosstourer se
  • City / Town: saltcoats
Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:26:08 PM
why not just connect your live feed to the feed at the front brake light switch.less cable run and you or a passing twat cannot leave them on to kill the battery. :305:

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:55:27 PM

*Originally Posted by andym [+]
why not just connect your live feed to the feed at the front brake light switch.less cable run and you or a passing twat cannot leave them on to kill the battery. :305:

Good point. I know Oxford do a smart controller now that eliminates accidentally leaving on and they shut off automatically when battery falls near to an unacceptable level thus avoiding running it totally flat .

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 09:50:00 AM
I know I can access battery from under seat...but is it possible to feed to the front of the bike to mount the controller on bars without removing panels or lifting tank...doesn't look like it is to me.... and COSMO, yes these are the ones I am considering..the new design with auto switch off if you forget...great idea!

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:15:45 AM
 Just a little word of warning on the Oxford controller.  Friend of mine has been left stranded a couple of times because the controller hadn't switch the grips off before the battery got too low.  I used the same type on my FJR but fitted a relay to isolate them when the ignition was off. Really easy to do. Grips were very good though, hottest setting was too hot!

Can't help you on the tank issue I'm afraid.

Paul

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
FITTING HEATED GRIPS
Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 11:21:25 AM
*Originally Posted by GeofftheChef [+]
I know I can access battery from under seat...but is it possible to feed to the front of the bike to mount the controller on bars without removing panels or lifting tank...doesn't look like it is to me.... and COSMO, yes these are the ones I am considering..the new design with auto switch off if you forget...great idea!

Yes with a bit of patience. I fed a power lead from under seat up to handlebars without moving the tank. I think from memory I fed down first a long stiff cable tie, then tapped up the wire onto it and pulled back up through . There was no clear route I just twiddled the cable tie and kept feeding it down from top front until it appeared out by where the tank is bolted to the bike. A little bit of trial and error but was done in 5 mins or so :-)

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:53:15 PM
Thanks...will maybe give it some thought and have a go this weekend :)