Author Topic: Why so few Crosstourers on the road?  (Read 7064 times)

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Why so few Crosstourers on the road?
on: November 05, 2013, 10:55:17 PM
I was out for a ride at the weekend, saw a few bikes out and about including a GS and Triumph Explorer which I assumed were together.

This started me thinking about why you don’t see more Crosstourers,i think its a great bike but ive only seen 1 other on the road since I got mine. Go out for a couple of hours on a sunny day and you could  put money on seeing a GS or Explorer.

I think its fairly safe to say that most people on here really like the CT and have probably owned/or riden at least, the competition and come to the conclusion that the big Honda is where they want to put their money. I test rode WC GS, GS Adventure, Tenere, Explorer and obviously the CT.  I found them all pretty good, the only one that was out of the running immediately was the WC GS, which my wife hated. It was very close on the others.
With them being so similar in performance, riding position and price why is it the Honda is so massively outsold by the others.

I have a couple of thoughts. Firstly, I nearly didn’t even bother trying a Crosstourer, I wanted to try “Adventure Bikes” but it wasnt even on my radar. Even when id booked a test ride and it looked like it maybe cancelled because of weather I wasn’t that bothered about arranging a new date. It was my wife who said i should try the Honda (thanks dear  :038:)

I think a large part of it was the fact that they have so little publicity. Every mag on the shelf will have some article telling you how great a GS is and its getting that way with the Explorer, and fair play they are good bikes but so is the CT. If people don’t even know it exists its never going to make a shortlist. It would be interesting to know how many people who bought a GS, Explorer, Tenere in the last 12 months actually tried a Crosstourer.

There’s also the standard spec. Triumphs biggie is cruise control.  When they put that on the Explorer as standard it really grabbed the headlines. There’s also some really good ideas on the Explorer like an accessory socket in the oem topbox, so easy to do and such a good idea. As for the BM, the list is endless provided you want to pay for it. They both have an accessory socket near the bars, Hondas is an option, under the seat, bizarre.

Obviously the GS is the the one that really brought this style of bike into the limelight so has a major head start.

Don’t get me wrong , im not slating the CT, far from it. I could have had had any of the bikes I test rode but decided on the Crosstourer after a test ride based on the fantastic engine and the finish on the  bike which I think left the others way behind. Im still convinced I made the right decision for me.

As posted on another thread the 2014  Crosstourer has a few updates but is camo paint and  3 stage traction control system really going to get people through the door?

Things i think they should have considered were, Cruise, accessory socket, adjustable screen and maybe height adjustable riders seat. Mate of mine tried one, loved the quality and the engine but he's shorter than me and found the seat to high so he's swinging toward the Triumph, sale lost.

Paul

All that said, it is nice to plough your own furrow and have something a little rarer.

:305:

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: Why so few Crosstourers on the road?
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 11:03:49 PM
Think word of how good they are is getting through to the masses, best friend has just bought a Highlander after years of BMWs, and where I work there are now 3 of us who own them out of only 20 people who work there!

They are still a rare sight on the road compared to the GS all the same  :305:

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 11:25:31 PM
where I work there are now 3 of us who own them out of only 20 people who work there!

That's just greedy  :001:

Offline Wez

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Perth
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 02:35:11 AM
Over here, Honda originally brought them in at over 20k! And as most did they were compared directly with the GS. Having had three of these, I admit the ride position is the same but as a road based blaster, the Honda is a great platform. They then reduced the cost to 15k which made the bike appear a no goer sales wise and this certainly appears to have hampered sales.

You'd be annoyed if you bought at the initial price.

Hell, just trying to confirmation of whether the bike was continuing from Honda was hard enough. I spend all day on  a bike (LEO traffic) and they're not common at all. Hopefully they'll be pushed a little better.

I guess the focus on the direct competition of the GS was always going to be an issue with testers complaining of weight and a poor fuel range. Can't say you can do much with the weight, but a restrained right wrist certainly returns a decent range.

The standard VFR's poor acceptance can't help the X as most compare performance without actually riding, ain't the net great?

Going to be interesting with the new VFR8 coming onto the scene as to whether Honda will keep the 12 platform as a more touring / sports platform for both the FD and X. Or drop the 12 entirely.... Fun playing the guessing games!
--
Another West Australian!

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 10:18:17 AM
My local shop sold 3 last week.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 11:21:55 AM
Sounds promising, maybe a slow starter sales wise, certainly isn't away from the lights :007:

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 11:43:21 AM
Here is what it looks like from this part of the world:

GS is the best selling adventure bike here, just like everywhere else on planet. But those that do not want to buy one, for whatever reason (like retardedly high price, chances of having problems with the bike, just not liking the bike), can go for 3 options here: Triumph Explorer, Yamaha Super Tenere and Honda CT. And I can easily say that CT is the best selling out of those 3. My guess is it may be on par with the new GS sales in Turkey atm. I am good friends with the biggest dealer in Istanbul, and the number of CTs sold this year (close to 250) is VERY high, considering Turkey is not a bikers heaven.

The bike is beautiful (imo), engine is delightful, and it RARELY has a problem (none in my case, 20k kms in 6 months). The owners here usually love their bike, and the word of mouth is the best way to promote a bike. Thats what got the bike into many others eyes. I myself have been part of 5 CT sales, convincing the guys that they wont regret buying it.

So, to sum it up: I am happy to see the changes to 2014 CT, no matter how small they may be. It hints at Honda's trust in the model, or that's what I'm hoping. It will get less and less rare in time, is what I believe. That's good news, but I honestly don't want to ride a bike that every other biker is riding  :001: . I hope CT will hit the sweet spot.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 01:10:47 PM
Mr Hartley tell your bud the 2014 has apparently a lower seat (or at least a different cut) for the little people.

To add, I discounted all the competition for various reasons, settled on the CT and was the only one I bothered to test ride. Luckily it was a hoot to hoon around on.

The real test is a big mile two-up tour next year. I can't see it being a costly mistake as that is its main purpose!