Author Topic: Crash bungs on DCT with Crash bars  (Read 3310 times)

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200x
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Crash bungs on DCT with Crash bars
on: November 03, 2013, 10:54:30 AM
Hey

Bike got knocked over last week by a damn taxi. The Crash bars did their job well but the bike sustained damage elsewhere, and I need advice to minimise  damage the next time it happens. Check out the picture.

Because the plastic gearbox housing sticks out a little more than the manual version, the rubber ends of the crash bars don't protect the plastic casing, scratching it to hell. I considered fitting crash bungs but the obvious space is taken up by the crash bar fitting. The R&G stuff looks good. I'm going to fit a exhaust protector but I have no idea where to put a crash bung that will stop the foot brake and the plastic cover getting damaged...any ideas???

Offline hill100

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Highlander dct
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Re: Crash bungs on DCT with Crash bars
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:23:58 PM
Looks like you got off lightly. Its good to see that he plastic casing protector worked; which is in effect a crash bung.

Offline paperman

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Irvine
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 07:14:37 PM
Hi Ozbar
I have a dct as well, but mine fell over on the driveway. I had the accessory bar fitted and this took the force of the fall, but got damage on the dct cover and exhaust shield. The dct cover was replaced (expensive) and the exhaust shield wasn't (daylight robbery) :172:
I have since looked at the best crash guard, and I reckon the R&G is best. I work in a papermill, so I borrowed some reams of paper and laid the bike on its side in our workshop, on the paper. From measurements, I worked out R&G protects the cover etc, so that's what i'm going to fit.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:51:26 PM
*Originally Posted by paperman [+]
I work in a papermill, so I borrowed some reams of paper and laid the bike on its side in our workshop, on the paper.

Tell me Dougie.... how many workmates did it take to help you stand it up again?  :150:

sorry  :305:

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200x
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 08:28:11 PM
Thats my second cover...first one cracked open at the bottom..40 notes later...its happened again.
The problem is that the crash bars use  the hole that id use to screw in a crash bung...has any body fitted a bung in any of the other holes??

Offline Lexus

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT DCT
  • City / Town: Ghent
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:41:15 PM
Take a look at mmotoparts .com

:018:

arab-exile