Author Topic: Here we go Danni or Kylie , Tom Tom or garmin  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Tonyj

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Here we go Danni or Kylie , Tom Tom or garmin
on: October 16, 2013, 06:21:36 AM
First question is probably a bit harder to settle,but on the sat nav front I've been using a v2 rider for about 5 years and this is used every day on the Silverwing for work and on main bike for trips into Europe .
its recently been playing up i.e. charging docks fuse blown etc,sorted these issues by using our friend the Internet so all good now  but I know it won't be long before it goes to sat nav heaven?,
So as and when I replace , do I go with Tom Tom rider,(not to sure on new format )or zumo , I like the fact you can plot routes for the zumo but like the simplicity of the Tomas . Does anyone one have experience of both , I know it's subjective hence title but have seen post saying the zumo660 can't be seen in daylight ? But at certain angles nor can my Tom Tom , I'm open for comparisons really
I've mounted the ram mount on the bars of the ct, yet to actually use it on this bike as I've only been on it 3 times (500) miles , getting itching feet now , so might be planing a trip down to the algarve this coming year

Offline 1coolbanana

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: NW Sydney
Re: Here we go Danni or Kylie , Tom Tom or garmin
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 06:55:25 AM
My experience with both would say TomTom wins hands down for road riding in its easy to use interface and usability.
BUT, if you plan on complicated routes especially "off the commonly beaten track" the the Zumo is the hands down winner with its ability to route, use waypoints, Basecamp software than can be used in Google Earth, the eas of sharing custom routes etc makes the Zumo a pretty good thing too.

Me personally, I cant go back to TomTom as you cant do what I need to do.
You cant share maps youve created in a universal format (gpx) like you can with the Zumo either.

The 660 screen is relatively dimly lit even compared to the 550.
The bigger screen on the 660 is "sometimes" handy but in hindsight, should have kept the 550, for me it was better as I dont commute, I dont do the urban thing, I only do long distance tar and dirt stuff so only refer to it intermittently.

Really depends on your personal needs.

Cowabunga Dudes

Wuka Wuka

Offline Buckr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X-DCT
  • City / Town: Walkington
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:16:45 AM
Having used both I finally settled with the Tomtom.
Ease of use and with the tyre software for route planning as it should be it really seals the deal.
In fact I did not buy a rider after mine packed up but use a GO730. this has Bluetooth, 3.5mm output jack and a ram mount on the handlebars with a waterproof cover when needed (not often with the position and a touring screen).
The whole setup is less than £200.
 :001:
If it ain't fun don't do it !

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 11:21:18 AM
Dont know the first thing about sat navs, but, Danni and Kylie  :152:

Offline oldhand

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: silver CT
  • City / Town: Ayrshire
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:59:57 AM
used TomTom in the past and a Garmin Zumo 660 on the xtourer, if you're a technophobe go for the tomtom. If you like stats and techie stuff go for the garmin... although, I find that the Garmin is a bit slow to update the screen at times such as at roundabout exits. It always gets you where you're going,  but there's no doubt it picks some strange ways to get you there, regardless of how you set it up... but maybe that's just me.  :157:
Unfortunately,  I've never had the chance to use either Danni or Kylie :003:

Offline Stuboy

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XSE Black
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:04:15 PM
Recently got a Garmin 350LM. Worked very well when I pre planned a route to the West Country for a group of us. Chunky looking unit as well. Have found it easy to use.. :001:
Bikes owned: DT175MX, 550 Katana, GSX750ES, GSXR1100H, KLR650, CB250N, ZR-7, GSXR1000L2, CT and FZR1000

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:27:38 PM
I have both. TT for the wifes car, and de Zumo660 for me ( bike and car). For the bike I would certainly recommend the Zumo because:
    1. you can make your routes yourself
    2. If you don't want to download a ready made route, most of the time it is for Garmin.
    3. I dropped mine a few times, and still 100% OK
    4. No problems with pairing to the headset and smartphone. (to be honest, never tried it on the TT)

But as already mentioned a bit earlier,  it's subjective!

Offline Griff

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT Highlander
Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 02:51:01 PM
No wishing to hijack this topic, but I am currently considering buying a Garmin Zumo 660 after having tried (unsuccessfully) to use a car-specific Garmin Nuvi.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best / simplest / safest method and location for obtaining a power connection for the Zumo?

Many thanks
Griff  :031:

arab-exile