Author Topic: Akrapovic / others bun fight  (Read 6655 times)

Offline Tonyj

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Akrapovic / others bun fight
on: October 09, 2013, 07:54:49 PM
 :001: was asking after a different end can opinion and was told that the akrapovic  was an approved item And runs a flutter valve ? For instance , or I've just made that bit up , anyway it means you can just pop it straight on no hassle ,power commander issue etc is there any issue with other end cans for instance , there's plenty out there , but is it bull so you just buy the dearest option, gotta be honest though do quiet fancy one. Yes before anyone moans its just for the noise

Online curlynot

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Nr Kings Lynn
Re: Akrapovic / others bun fight
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 06:35:09 AM
I have the Akrapovic on my bike, I bought the Honda accessory one as part of the new deal so its got the writing in black engraved into the can not a sticky label. As far as Im aware its just a pipe and can-no valves etc like the 1200F.fits perfectly,great quality and straight on with no other work required. Sounds good although still sounds like a GS! I havent removed the bung as the Honda one has the bolt tack welded in, although this could be ground out with a dremel quite easily. Everybody will have their own opinion on this topic so if you like the look,sound or just want one then go for it. Hope this helps.

Regards Rob.

Offline 1coolbanana

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: NW Sydney
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:45:56 AM
Absolute rubbish, no such thing as a "flutter valve" in the Honda exhaust system.
You are being conned.
Not saying there is anything wrong with the Akra, I love them, still one of the kings of quality, but you are being told complete rubbish.
Buy the Akra if you like it and can afford it but there are plenty of option and good quality ones for half to two thirds the price.

I especially would not buy anything from someones you told such rubbish to make a sale.

I have Akras on my KTM, had them on my GS, my zx14, but Ive just put a carbon Leo on the CT and was surprised at how very nice it is for half the cost.
Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:50:25 AM by 1coolbanana
Cowabunga Dudes

Wuka Wuka

Offline nsxer

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Black CT
  • City / Town: Craigavon
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 10:47:34 AM
putting a leo vincie on my new CT which is due to be picked up soon

I would love to put an akra on my bike ... but the cost is absolutely insane and fair play to all those you can afford it after buying this bike.  :047:

My Honda dealer said there was no difference in any of the cans and it boils down to what u can afford and what u want put on. So it was the LV for me purely financial decision.

Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:10:54 PM by nsxer

Offline Tonyj

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 07:24:13 PM
Cheers for the reply , I meant in a general way that why was the akrapovic an approved item ? , I don't think it reflects badly on choice of others before it gets into a "how much competition. Just wondering if there is a difference as I also heard Remus are made in/ at the same factory.
Quite like the original design but wouldn't mind the sound track upgrade ,although it might get on my nerves on a long haul , last e/cans I had we're on a firestorm and it did sound lovely , but has I had to get off every 15 Min's :0) to fill up I never got bored.

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:30:00 AM
*Originally Posted by Tonyj [+]
as I had to get off every 15 Min's :0) to fill up I never got bored.

Ah I remember those happy days.  :008: ... and having to get my renegade hi-levels repacked and reskinned because of those big vtwin pulses blowing them apart (and the repacking making no difference to the VOLUME :027: )

Anyway on with the bunfight, here is a gratuitous pic of a LV Factory R. Weighs so little it possibly would float away if not secured.

Quality is drool worthy having had Akra and Remus on previos motos, full carbon and titanium inners (like an evo akra) and the sound raucous when giving it big licks and still just loud enough to stop lemming like peds stepping out in front of you in town. Although after putting a barn door touring screen on the airbox honk is giving it a run for its decibels. All good. :082:

Offline 1coolbanana

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: NW Sydney
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 10:55:58 AM
Hey andyrob, nice looking bike   :062:  that is a really nice looking can and much higher quality than the standard carbon LV I got.
I would have liked to get that one but it would have cost me as much as the Akra to get here in Oz.
Anyway, the point is, the LV makes excellent quality stuff and as good as any :-)
BTW, did you paint the grab rail and bits around back or do they come black on yours?
Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:39:34 AM by 1coolbanana
Cowabunga Dudes

Wuka Wuka

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 12:13:52 PM
*Originally Posted by 1coolbanana [+]

BTW, did you paint the grab rail and bits around back or do they come black on yours?
That is a VFR1200XDD like mine, special edition with black fork legs, black rear rack/grab rails, special graphics on front fairing.