deflectors Honda

Views: 860
Posted by: redbaron
in: Redbaron
Journey 50

Views: 748
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Knocking noise from cold engine  (Read 26429 times)

Offline nadsim

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT Highlander
  • City / Town: Rugby
Knocking noise from cold engine
« on: October 09, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
Hi folks
I've had my CT for about 9 weeks now and have covered nearly 4500 miles thanks to a great trip round Europe and a trip to the BSB at Assen
The CT has performed well but I have found one or two issues and I'm looking to see if anyone else has experienced these faults.

1st one is more of a niggle than a failure of the bike. My speedo is over 10% inaccurate, I've gauged this using 2 sat navs and a mates bike for comparison. It's on the safe side but too safe if you ask me. When I'm doing an indicated 70mph on the speedo my sat navs read 62mph and my mates Triumph Tiger reads 65. I know this means I'll never get a speeding ticket but also I don't want to be aggravating drivers behind me by going too slow either. The bike is completely standard with the original tyres on it so I'm guessing its a calibration issue within the ecu. Has anyone else seen this

Also and more worrying, my engine has developed a knocking noise when warming up, it goes off when it's hot but it's worryingly loud when cold. It's not valve train as the knocking frequency isn't at half engine speed which leads me to believe it may be piston slap or  small end bearing. Anyone heard of this before
any advice gratefully recieved as I'm taking it back to the dealers next week and I'd rather have some info if there is a known issue

Cheers
Simon

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: Knocking noise from cold engine
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »
hi Simon, the speedometer is well known to read high, it should however be within 10% accurate as that is what is allowed in law.

As for the knocking noise without hearing it its impossible to guess, get it back to a dealer and get them to diagnose it, not aware of anyone else on here having any problem like you have described

Let us know how you get on  :031:

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »
Knocking sound is probably the cam chain tensioner.

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: PLAYA BLANCA
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »
Soooo any news on this?
Cheers Blu

Offline nadsim

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT Highlander
  • City / Town: Rugby
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 07:11:11 PM »
Hi guys
the CT's in the dealers now. Been there since yesterday. They agree that there's an abnormal noise from the engine as it warms up. They're waiting on instructions from Honda as to what to do next but they have sent a recorded soundwave file and an oil sample to Honda,  which sounds like a similar process to what we would do at work, I work for a car manufacturer. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens next.
They're not going to do anything about the speedo as they consider it to be within their specification.  I'll tell that to the next driver who's following me complaining about me going too slow

more updates to follow
cheers
Simon.

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: PLAYA BLANCA
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:18:47 PM »
Don't the speedo thing really piss you off aye! does me and it's even worse since I'm now on KM's
Cheers Blu

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »
Riding up the M5 this evening, trickled past a Honda civic  89 showing on my speedo - could clearly see his large speedo readout on his dash showing 80 - ridiculously inaccurate!

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 10:01:29 AM »
That speedo safety-margin saved me loads of bucks when I was riding in Balkans  :001:
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

arab-exile