Author Topic: A question about the Crosstourer from a VFR1200 DCT owner  (Read 4663 times)

Offline leighton

• Crosstourer Junior
Hi

A question about the Crosstourer from a VFR1200 DCT owner.
On my bike (2011 model) the torque curve is heavily managed below 5000 rpm in first and 2nd gear.
This means that for overtaking slow moving traffic, the bike actually accelerates faster and smoother in 3rd gear than it does in 2nd gear.
This for me (in addition to the cramped seating position and heavy fuel consumption), is one of the biggest reasons I am interested in changing to a CrossTourer.

Can a Crosstourer DCT owner please tell me, does the CrossTourer DCT suffer from the same truncated torque curve below 5000rpm in 1st and 2nd gear?

cheers in advance.

Offline Beer Belly

• Crosstourer Member
Re: A question about the Crosstourer from a VFR1200 DCT owner
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:23:15 PM
I changed from a first gen DCT f which I had for over a year, to a manual CT and the CT definitley pulls better lower in the range in the first two gears. Not exactly what you were asking but there it is for what it's worth. Overall I'm a lot happier on the CT.
Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:10:38 PM by Beer Belly

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 04:34:20 PM
Not had one of those to draw comparison but the CT and CT DCT although have the same engine are more tuned for sheer grunt and low down torque rather than blistering top end speed so I think on that basis you will be more happier on the CT than you sound like you are with your current bike.

Offline leighton

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:17:56 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer.
So if you are not sure what I am talking about, let me rephrase this a little bit.
Do you find that there is a sharp step up in the torque curve at about 5000 rpm in first and second gear only?
Do you find that if you shift down to 3rd gear at about 4000rpm, the bike actually accelerates faster in 3rd gear than in 2nd gear?

I agree it sounds like the crosstourer would be a more satisying bike to ride.
I find myself riding around in 3rd gear almost all the time.
The VFR1200f will do about 125 mph in 3rd gear, which you could never use on the road anyway.
I'd much rather have the extra torque below 5000rpm (ie below 60mph) than have the extra power which is only available at illegal speeds.

Offline Beer Belly

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 06:56:56 PM
I know what you mean Leighton, it used to annoy the hell out of me as well, Honda really stunted the power. Certainly on the CT manual box there is no lag in the first two gears through restriction. The only thing you do notice sometimes if you are using full power is the traction control can kick in a little abruptly as it tries to send the front wheel skywards. Of course its easy to switch off for the times you want a really quick getaway. No doubt someone will be along soon to tell you about the CT DCT box. By the way, you will probably find that the CT is just as quick up to a ton, if not slightly quickly, it only falls behind when you are starting to get into silly speeds.
Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:12:14 PM by Beer Belly

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 07:44:03 PM
I think you wont find a living soul that can tell that Crosstourers low end torque is not enough  :001:

1st and 2nd gears (or any others) 2500 rpm is all you need. It just pulls like a monster after those revs.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:40:10 PM
I rode both before buying the DCT and can't honestly say I have noticed what you describe so why don't you testride a DCT CT and find out for yourself?

It may be because you had the 170bhp output that they felt the need to restrict the first couple of gears (just like they did to the older superbikes) or maybe its because we have the 2nd generation of the DCT whereas you have the 1st gen version? dunno

After about 50 seconds in this clip I set off from some lights from a standing start and it doesn't sound or feel restricted

Crosstourer DCT accelerating

Offline leighton

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 09:21:12 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I saw a used crosstourer in my price range the last weekend in Grantham Honda, I might ask If I can test ride it next time I'm up.

arab-exile