Author Topic: Lowering CT  (Read 4773 times)

Offline rustykings

• Crosstourer Junior
Lowering CT
on: October 02, 2013, 01:45:49 AM
Hello all.

I still haven't purchased yet. Still waiting (hoping) for a DCT. However i'm 5' 9'' and when I did a test ride the CT was just that bit too tall. I found this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-VFR-1200-X-Crosstourer-30mm-lowering-link-drop-kit-NEW-/350869553157?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item51b1748005

Has anyone installed these and do they do what they claim ie reduce seat height by 30mm  to 820mm.

I have a VFR1200 and it's seat height is 820 mm and it is perfect.

Thanks

Offline Tonyj

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Re: Lowering CT
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:57:50 AM
Rode the ct with a lowering kit and to be honest I'm not sure if it was the same one but it did make a lot of difference for me,I am 6ft on good day 5'11 most days :008: but the noticeable points are gravel sh#t at junctions and paddling ,on the move no difference .thought about this my self but went for a centre stand and I think this rules it out , as you can't lift the ###er

Offline Black Bob

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR800X (Black)
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 08:53:35 AM
*Originally Posted by rustykings [+]
Hello all.

I still haven't purchased yet. Still waiting (hoping) for a DCT. However i'm 5' 9'' and when I did a test ride the CT was just that bit too tall.

I know exactly what you mean, I'm 5ft 9ins - on a good day. Although I was on the limit of what I felt was manageable during the test ride, I reckoned I would be able to adjust to the combination of height and weight after a few miles; but, after 3500 miles, that never really happened. I was OK (just) solo, but I bought the CT for touring 'two up' and found it decidedly tricky with a pillion and luggage. It never got to the point where I dropped it, but the rides were never enjoyable. In the end I was using a Crossrunner 'two up' and riding the CT solo - which, for me, was the wrong way round.

According to the dealer, Honda approved a lowering kit; although they don't actually manufacture it themselves. I don't know if the one on Ebay is that one or not. The dealer says they have never actually seen the Honda approved kit. A couple of members on this forum have tried using seats that have been lowered - so there are options available.

Having considered lowering the CT in some way, I eventually gave in and downsized. I'm not saying that is what you should do, just that it is what I did. I didn't like the idea of reducing selected dimensions of the CT - it felt like fiddling around with its basic geometry too much - so I 'shrank' the entire proportions down to the Crossrunner. There are gains doing this (the seat height is 816 for a start), but also losses (I miss the power, the quality of the ride and the shaft drive).

Offline vfor

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200x
  • City / Town: Shrewsbury
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 06:20:06 PM
I had a lowering kit on mine when first bought, it reduced the height by 20mm (roughly)
After 4750 miles I have put the original hangers back on, the bike settled a fair bit enabling the refit of the hangers, oh and I'm only 5' 8" on a very good day

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 09:14:16 PM
I had 30mm drop plates but i kept decking out the centre stand so went back to std and got a lowered seat instead  :305:

I'm only 5'8" and do struggle sometimes

ian

Offline Darren66

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer Dct
  • City / Town: Blackpool
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 04:29:00 PM
I got the 30mm from Ebay. However, the bike bottomed out over bumpy fast road and damaged my hugger. I am going to fit the original again or possible look at the 20mm ones.

I am 5' 10
Crosstourer DCT 2013
Aprilia Mana 2010
Suzuki Bandit 2004