Author Topic: Hello all from Hampshire, UK, and 3 questions about Crosstourer.  (Read 2802 times)

Offline mark2jag

• Crosstourer Junior
Hiya  to the Crosstourer community. I'm Mark(surprisingly) and  having  just sold my Honda CBF1000 am now  looking at a Crosstourer. I  just wanted  to say Hi really, oh and  ask 2 questions....
The first one is  a bit strange, but here goes; HOW do you pick up a Crosstourer, by which I dont mean go to a dealers or buy one from a shop. I recently  witnessed someone  falling off one, and  before  he could even pick his bike up there was a crowd and 3 reasonably  large chaps took it upon themselves to pick his bike up for him. He was unhurt, and as I was chatting to  him and  checking  him out to see if  he had damaged himself in any way, he told me that he has never had to pick the bike up himself, and doesnt  know  whether he would be able to do it on his own. anyone  willing to post a video on youtube, but  stick some  cushions under the bits that might  easily  get scratched. I am asking specifically for info on picking up a Crosstourer as the videos relating to other bikes  have hand holds and pickup points in different places, but i sort of think the same  technique would apply to anything large heavy and tourer/offroad/gravel tracks orientated.

the 2nd  question is a wee bit of a bone of  contention, and probably draws different  answers from different people, but I would  like to  know before I go and sign all the papers for my new bike. it relates to Fuel consumption. is it thirsty, is it economical etc etc. Oh and out of  curiousity does it  have average MPG on the display. I'm told that Honda do not  use MPG anymore and refer to consumption in miles  per litre, but  would be nice to  have average MPG displayed.

Anyone  willing to  help out on these questions??? Will  keep checking  back to see if anyone  can help.

P.S. My bike (potentially) is a 13 plate Highlander spec.

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Hello all from Hampshire, UK, and 3 questions about Crosstourer.
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 08:16:26 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. 1st the easy way to pick up a bike when on its side it firstly make sure it's in gear or if a DCT Crosstourer make sure the rear park brake is engaged. Then use two hands on the grip that's touching the floor and not bending your back but using only legs to take the load stand up and lift the bike with you. Not too bad to do if your relatively fit enough. If your not that fit, get some help. There are loads of videos on YouTube showing different techniques. Secondly yes fuel consumption is shown but as you say it's in miles per litre either as an average or shown as current. When the bikes tank is getting low then that display goes out and is replaced by how many miles you have left. Mine comes on at about 40 miles of fuel left. Hope that helped you a bit? Cheers, Colin. 

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 08:54:11 PM
Hi Mark and welcome.
To answer your mpg question I'm getting mid 40s but I've only got 450 miles on mine so far. Though from what I can make out that seems about the norm, maybe a bit more when it's loosened up a bit.

Paul

Offline Southern Man

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 09:19:24 PM
Hi Mark,

Also a Hampshire Hog! I generally get around 45 ish. On a good run, some motorway 48 - 51 mpg (two up). Great bike.....

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 06:31:47 AM
not had to pick up the CT yet thank goodness. did see a good video on youtube which showed a young/slight women pick up a GS or something. I'll see if I can find it.
mid to high 40's if not into the 50's sometimes.
Welcome
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 06:44:25 AM
ah found it. She was not so slight or young as I remembered.
How to pick up your motorcycle
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 07:37:19 AM

*Originally Posted by slomogadgie [+]
ah found it. She was not so slight or young as I remembered.
How to pick up your motorcycle

So much easy to do when you have nice curved engine bars to help rock the bike up, they also ensure the bike is not so low to the ground when on its side. Not all bikes have that obviously  - but good demo.

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 07:50:08 AM
Here's someone picking up a Goldwing.

arab-exile