Author Topic: Hi Everyone From Quicksilver In Kerry Ireland ..  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Quicksilver

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: BMW K75s
Hi Everyone From Quicksilver In Kerry Ireland ..
on: September 20, 2013, 02:48:31 PM
Hi all ,

I've only recently gotten into bikes , midlife crisis sort of thing , and I've realised it's a fantastic way to get away from it all , including the wife and kids .

I've gotten myself a 1995 BMW K75 , shaft driven , to start with , and I intend then to try and get a CT DCT .

Like a lot of people over the past few years , I fell in love with the idea of having a GS , Big , sexy , tough and doesn't look like an out and out tourer . I love the look of the Pan European , but couldn't imagine myself taking it to the shops on a Sunday for the papers , it just seems too nice somehow to use as a daily commuter. Whereas a GS or CT , I could imagine myself going ANYWHERE with it .

I've always loved Japanese cars and four by fours , and only recently discovered that Honda actually made a bike like the CT with the option of automatic transmission . I've gotten used to the gears on the K75 but for my ultimate bike , which I previously believed to be the GS , I couldn't see the reason why I HAD to change gears if I didn't want to . With the GS of course you have no choice , get used to the dry clutch and manual transmission or tough , the CT though thakfully gives you a choice .

I've moved away from desiring a GS mainly because of online niggles about final gear problems , elec. problems and just basically an uncomfortable seat .  :003:

I haven't seen a CT in the flesh yet , other then passing one last week at high speed and boring the kids with "That's it , that's a CROSSTOURER ! .. That's what I want !" ..

I've always liked automatics , my car is auto , and I believe it'll make me a safer , more confident rider . I won't worry if I'm in slow moving traffic going up a steep hill , I won't worry that I'm riding the clutch and I won't worry about my left foot slipping or getting cramp . I worry enough when I'm at home , if a bike with DCT helps me enjoy my biking that much more , then I'm all for it .

I've met a few purists who insist that automatics aren't 'proper' bikes , but I say each to their own . Some like Harleys , some like mopeds , some like autos and some like whatever it is they actually like , the road's big enough for all of us .

I'm delighted I found this site and I'm really looking forward to following it .

BTW , if any of you are down this way , Dingle , Kerry , let me know , I'd love to have a look at your bikes .

Many thanks ,

Mike .

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: Hi Everyone From Quicksilver In Kerry Ireland ..
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 04:29:29 PM
 :400: to the forum Mike

Once you have ridden a bike with the DCT you will understand why so many on here are converts to the system, it is super smooth

Get a good run on one and enjoy :031:

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 04:39:22 PM
 :400: Hope you find one soon!

Offline Quicksilver

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 09:39:50 AM
Many thanks .

There's only one for sale in Ireland with DCT at the moment and it's a bit pricey with no luggage etc. , so when I'm ready I'll probably buy in the UK and drive it home ..

Just one question , it may seem a bit nit picky but it has to be asked . Is it possible to change the speedo from mph to kph ? or is this impossible ? I'm just reluctant to get any more points on my licence .

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:56:25 AM
Hi,
According to my owners manual, you can change units from Km to Miles and visa versa by holding both the 'FCD' and 'Trip' buttons down at the same time.
Hope this helps you make the decision to buy a brilliant bike!  :001:

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:10:27 AM
 :400: Mike from Lancashire, UK

I also drive a sort of AUTO car (CVT) and the bike is much better giving you basically 3 modes

A/T in D = goes through gears quickly (but with kick-down available with a twist of the wrist)
A/T in S = holds the gears to higher revs for a more sporty ride (also with kick-down)
M/t = rider chooses gears with LH handlebar buttons (my favourite mode :007:)

Oh and the speedo is about 10% fast to help protect your licence  :305:

Ian
Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 12:16:03 PM by scotsy

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 11:46:22 AM
the CT DCT is not an uatomatic, it has a double clutch gearbox, totally different to an automatic box.

The Porsche 911 Turbo is now only available in DCT (no old scholl manual available)  and that is a true sports car - I used to have one.

Offline Quicksilver

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 02:52:43 PM
Many thanks for that , it's good to know the speedo can be changed without any hassle .

Also , is £10,500 about the right price for a 2012 DCT with luggage and crash bars ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271245202454?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I won't be buying till Next Jan or Feb , would the price come down much more as it's a year older or only a small bit in peoples experience .

When bringing a car or bike into Ireland , we have to pay VRT (vehicle registration tax) basically to get an Irish reg for it . At the moment for a 2012 CT it's about €1,400 ..

You can only drive around here on UK plates for a couple of weeks , or longer if you're lucky , before you get pulled in and questioned . The "I'm on holiday mate !" excuse only works the once I'm afraid  :038: