Author Topic: 1976 Honda CB400-4 Supersport F1 back from the dead  (Read 9287 times)

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
1976 Honda CB400-4 Supersport F1 back from the dead
on: September 15, 2013, 04:17:04 PM
As I work in Scotland and stay Monday to Fridays at Larkhall near Glasgow I have got to know a Crosstourer owner called Dougie, he uses the forum name of 'Paperman' on here.

Dougie lives at Irvine but hails from Larkhall and pops over to see his parents now and again who still live here, he has been known to pop past my place and call in for a brew and chat and on one occasion asked me if I was interested in an old CB400 that his dad was getting rid of.

Now I had bought an old Honda Vf500-V4 non-runner a few years ago with a view to 'doing it up' and using as a classic bike for the occasional 'bimble' but because it had been stood for many years there were so many things 'gummed-up' that I never got it running properly and ended up selling it on for very little return (a loss :019:) so you can see why I wasn't too keen to take up Andrew's offer (Dougies dad).

Andrew and Dougie just wanted rid of the bike as it had been unused for the last 14 years and was literally 'rusting away' in a damp garage so they kindly offered to sign the bike over to me for free as long as I tried to get it back on the road as they had fond memories of owning it and wanted to ensure it was saved and used again.

Its been a long slog (low on my list of priorities i'm afraid) and I didn't want it to cost me much money UNTIL I had heard the engine running  (which has seemed to take forever) whereupon I would spend some more money and put some time and effort into its 'roadworthiness' again.

Firstly it was clear that the carbs were not functioning so they became the No.1 priority so one sunny summer evening after work the project began :047:

image links dead

On removal of the float bowls it became clear why it wouldn't run :164:

image links dead

3 of the four carbs were fooked

image links dead

the fuel had turned to varnish and rust/corrosion :148:

At that moment I was feeling despondent as I realised it wasn't going to be a free fix and I was in a quandary about wether to give up there and then (remembering the VF500 woes) or risk some money on getting things sorted, I was getting quite attached to the old girl so I decided to plough on with it.

I left the carbs at a small local bike shop who knew someone who could get them 'sonically cleaned' and after a few weeks I got the call to say I needed some parts which were damaged on removal. I ended up buying a kit from ebay to rebuild all 4 carbs with new jets etc  for little over £25 inc postage from Japan, the downside being it was another 3 weeks or so before they would arrive.

Due to lack of progress doing this work in Scotland I brought the bike home a few weeks ago so I could do stuff to it at weekends and its paid off, only a couple of weeks ago I refitted the carbs etc and got it running albeit with a seized up throttle cable and several other mini-projects still to do which I had held back from sorting out.

When I came to re-fit the nice clean set of carbs to the motor I just couldn't do it without cleaning up the 'soon to be innaccesible' parts of the engine with degreaser and my 'special tool'  :038:

image links dead

That's better  :002:

image links dead

A pint of Vodka and Irn-Bru spurred me on to keep the de-rusting/cleanup going

image links dead

until a general wash declared the days toil over, it looks much better in this picture than it does in real life, it is covered in rust but I don't care......it runs :152:

image links dead

Here is my 2 year old grandson Joseph trying it out for size

image links dead

Since that weekend I have fitted some new bits such as:-

front caliper piston/seal/nipple/fluid
throttle cable
grips
horn
rear light unit
oil filter/oil change

I was feeling confident so I booked it in for its MOT test at 11am yesterday morning. I insured it then took my first ride on it to the test station (I went the long way there :008:)

It passed with no issues so I rushed home to apply for my road-tax using the online facility so I could go for an all legal bimble......alas I was thwarted in my quest as the electronic databases hadn't been updated with my insurance and MOT status and the victory bimble was CANCELLED until another day :173:

I'll give the last word to my Grandson on what he's going to do to it next time he's aboard

link dead

:745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745: :745:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: 1976 Honda CB400-4 Supersport F1 back from the dead
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 04:38:03 PM
An old classic lives again - Top job.  :028:

I wish I had the time to start a project like that. Too much work and not enough play.  :003:

Instead I've bought a new retro bike - saved lots of work and makes me feel great. Bring back the 80's!  :152:

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 05:52:23 PM
Nice job Ian! :063:

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 06:04:20 PM
Nice job, well done.

Ive rebuilt a yamaha tt350 from the ground up. Its a very expensive hobby, but great fun  :031:

Offline Southern Man

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:58:04 PM
Scotsy, I really enjoyed reading that, thanks. I trust you will enjoy the old gal!

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:13:19 PM
*Originally Posted by Southern Man [+]
Scotsy, I really enjoyed reading that, thanks. I trust you will enjoy the old gal!

My plan is to take it to my workplace in Scotland and use it for occasional bimbles in the evenings or if i get an early dart one day (very rare)  :305:

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 10:05:10 PM
 :062: well done Scotsy, used to love the noise from those bikes when I was growing up, any chance of loading a video with it running?

Offline paperman

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Irvine
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 07:37:23 AM
A good account of the minor restoration Ian, glad the old girl is back running without emptying your wallet, but I knew it would, the engine was perfect ! I'll call round for a another brew at some point, but with work etc, just dont get enough time to get anything done, and cant get enough time on the ct either.  :031:

arab-exile