Author Topic: The mystery of TEN marked on fork caps is finally solved  (Read 2082 times)

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
The mystery of TEN marked on fork caps is finally solved
on: September 14, 2013, 07:57:04 PM
I was thumbing through some mixed up paperwork at home tonight and came across the booklet that came from Hyperpro with the suspension I bought from them in June.

Long story cut short is that the mystery of what TEN stands for (as marked on the fork caps and on some shocks) and I quote.....

"Rebound damping is sometimes referred to as tension damping ("ten")"

I know this was suggested earlier as a possibility but it is now confirmed  :002:

:305:

I could type out their instructions and post up here if anyone is interested in more info?  :028:

Offline ricochet

• Crosstourer Member
Re: The mystery of TEN marked on fork caps is finally solved
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 11:45:24 AM
Thanks scotsy for sharing.

How are your impressions with the Hyperpro springs, front and rear? Will you highly recommend them?
2003 Piaggio X9 (Sold), 2004 BMW R1200C Montauk (Sold), 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Sold), 2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Sold)), 2012 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer

Happiness Is Never Real Unless Shared

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 08:56:46 PM
They certainly improve the roadholding at speed but are not as 'plush' as a good Ohlins setup, but then again Ohlins are more than 2 x expensive

I find the front end is still too harsh at normal road speeds and I am thinking of trying 10wt oil instead of the 15wt supplied in the fork spring kit from Hyperpro. This should allow the spring to compress a little faster/smoother seeing as we have no way of adjusting compression speed mechanically on our bikes.

The return speed (rebound) however is adjustable using a flat screwdriver at the centre of the top fork cap

Veejays settings seem to be something to try out before splashing the cash though, there is nothing to loose as long as you record your current settings BEFORE you start fiddling with anything so you can return to them if not happy

:305:

Offline ricochet

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 02:05:19 AM
Thanks scotsy. By the way, do you know the type of oil that is in the OEM forks?  Changing them might be the cheapest way to go. :038:
2003 Piaggio X9 (Sold), 2004 BMW R1200C Montauk (Sold), 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Sold), 2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Sold)), 2012 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer

Happiness Is Never Real Unless Shared