Author Topic: Headlight dipped beam  (Read 7873 times)

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Headlight dipped beam
on: September 13, 2013, 02:14:58 PM
Hi,
My commute this week has met with the onset of some very dark and gloomy conidtions (especially through the wooded areas of the Cotswolds).
My god that is the worst dipped beam headlight I have yet encountered! What the hell is that meant to do? All I can see is a narrow horizontal slither of dim light - and that is with a Phillips extreme power..... High beam is fine BTW.
Style over function methinks!
Even with a HID conversion I am going to end up with a brighter slither of light.
I used a NC700X last winter and the lights on that were superb - so I expected the same from this  :187:

Auxiliary lights going on asap!

Offline PaulB

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X silver
  • City / Town: Southend-on-Sea
Re: Headlight dipped beam
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 08:44:19 PM
Totally  :0461: with you there. First time I noticed it was on the A30 after getting off the ferry at midnight, I was quite  :005: and glad to get on a well lit M25! Don't travel much at night but will be fitting additional lights + HID soon.
I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:15:15 PM
Not good news for me........

I don't like driving/riding in the dark (I wear varifocals) but i'm going to Scotland in a fortnight with 5 mates on the bikes (Durness) and we may get caught running out of daylight if delayed for any reason

For this reason I just fitted an H7 osram nightbreaker plus in both my dip and main beams but your comments make me think I might still struggle?

PS. you've not seen REAL dark until you've done a lochside single track road in the Highlands at night :005:

:305:

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 07:06:49 AM

*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]
Not good news for me........

I don't like driving/riding in the dark (I wear varifocals) but i'm going to Scotland in a fortnight with 5 mates on the bikes (Durness) and we may get caught running out of daylight if delayed for any reason

For this reason I just fitted an H7 osram nightbreaker plus in both my dip and main beams but your comments make me think I might still struggle?

PS. you've not seen REAL dark until you've done a lochside single track road in the Highlands at night :005:

I too opted for Osram Nightbreakers, they are fine and I have no issues with lights whatsoever ;-)

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 08:30:45 AM
I too have ordered a set of Osrams...I am also fitting a pair of Ring Micro cruise halogen fog lights - £20 a pair! I have used these little lights through 3 winters on different bikes and the performance is astounding!
http://www.warmstrong.co.uk/shop/accessories/ring-accessory-lighting/ring-micro-cruise-lite-rectangular-fog-lamps-brl0370

£20 for the lights, £17 for a handlebar switch,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Headlight-Spot-Fog-Light-Handlebar-Switch-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Project-/190804856548?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c6cdb0ee4

~ £10 for a relay, and about the same for some cable. Managed to fit two pairs to two bikes for £90 last winter  :152:

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:09:14 AM
*Originally Posted by veejay [+]
I too have ordered a set of Osrams...I am also fitting a pair of Ring Micro cruise halogen fog lights - £20 a pair! I have used these little lights through 3 winters on different bikes and the performance is astounding!
http://www.warmstrong.co.uk/shop/accessories/ring-accessory-lighting/ring-micro-cruise-lite-rectangular-fog-lamps-brl0370

£20 for the lights, £17 for a handlebar switch,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Headlight-Spot-Fog-Light-Handlebar-Switch-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Project-/190804856548?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c6cdb0ee4

~ £10 for a relay, and about the same for some cable. Managed to fit two pairs to two bikes for £90 last winter  :152:

they seem a good buy veejay, thanks for the links  :305:

Offline moli

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 09:22:23 AM
I don't have too much problems in the night...

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 09:36:20 AM
*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]

oh aye I hear you Scotsy. I've been caught a times this year with my tinted pinlock in. Had to stop and take it out. Still not good though.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

arab-exile