Author Topic: MPG ... Impressive !  (Read 2710 times)

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
MPG ... Impressive !
on: September 10, 2013, 07:23:57 PM
Just home from weekend tour of Scottish Borders... Seems like miles per litre or gallon is quite impressive for bike of this size and weight... Topped up after doing 122 miles since last fill and only managed to squeeze in to full 10.5 litres, so approx. 12 miles to litre or well over 50 to the gallon... this was at speeds from 40 to around 70 in 3rd and 4th gears a lot of the time on the twisties, so very happy with both performance and economy ! :152:

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Re: MPG ... Impressive !
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 07:53:19 PM
A lot of people saying the same thing Geoff, and to say as the engine gets properly bedded in it gets better :152:Also to say that when the CT was in the design stages and the motorcycle press were saying that a bike of that weight with the V4 lump would be a thirsty old sod. I'm more than happy with my DCT which returns either side of the 50 mpg mark.Never kept mine in sport mode long enough to get a true reading ,but on the other hand when I'm having that much fun with clothes on ........Who cares  :745:

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 12:04:13 AM
See stats below. Its ok for me. I can live with a bit of thirst against a decent range. And I'm getting that, especially helped by the fuel countdown.

The engine is music to my ears so spending most of my time playing tunes in Manual.

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 08:51:01 AM
I am with you on this one. The first 8.000kms I was trying hard to keep the fuel consumption low. But lately I am keeping the rev above 5.000 at all times, gearing up around 7500-8000. I know it consumes more that way, but I enjoy the bike even more.

The bike is powerful at all revs from 2.500 up I think. But its real fun lies in the upper end.

Well, 33 years old, no race bike ever owned. I try my best to make up for it with what I have  :034:

And even when riding like this, the average doesnt go past 7L/100km. Fine enough if you ask me.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 06:30:47 PM
My first tankful came in at 44.2mpg, but I don't expect great things from the first couple of tanks as the engine is usually a bit tight.

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 07:17:17 PM
Similar figure for me on 3 fill ups as it says down the bottom :002:

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 07:38:28 PM
I will be looking forward to seeing how it pans out, assuming I can keep control of the right wrist Paul :001:

Offline ukiboy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Vfr1200x
  • City / Town: London
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 07:53:59 PM
MPG is very dependant on usage - my inner city commute in stop start traffic gets as low as 32 mpg but I've also got 50 mpg on long motorway cruises.

Either way I think it's a small price to pay given the awesome performance in the engine room.
As an aside, my 2012 Ford Fiesta with a 1.25 litre 82 bhp petrol engine seldom gets anywhere near 40 mpg even on the best of days. Usually it gets an average of 32 ish mpg. The engine size is similar to the CT but the CT has about 40 bhp more!
So the old myth about cars being more fuel efficient than big bikes is bull!
Unless of course the car is a diesel, in which case they are more than a match for a big bike..

arab-exile