Author Topic: It's Arrived!!  (Read 5233 times)

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
It's Arrived!!
on: September 09, 2013, 04:12:53 PM
The new CT has arrived, resplendent in the pearlescent white that I decided on :002: I picked it up last Thursday from Doble's and left them with my trusty GS Adventure, which they had already found a buyer for.

A few words about Doble's first. A pleasure to deal with, no bullsh#t, no false promises, just a professional dealer who gave me a great deal which meant it only cost me £600 to change from my GSA to the CT. The handover was nice and smooth and I just had to keep an eye on my wife as she wandered around the shop attempting to buy stuff for herself :001:

I have done just over 100 miles on the bike now and the first impressions are very positive, with just a couple of observations to share. The engine...................well, what a beast. Smooth, tractable, powerful and very deceptive. It never sounds busy but you have to watch the speedo as it builds up speed so easily.

Gearbox is good for such a new bike with just the usual clunk going into first.

Steering is nice and positive and tracks very well. Still getting used to the suspension and I have just adjusted it using Veejays settings but yet to try it as it is rather damp today.

The throttle was very sensitive on the way home, much more so than the drive by wire on my K1600, but I did a CBT on Saturday and I am adjusting to it nicely.

Brakes feel nice and progressive.

The standard screen is not up to the job and the seat is an instrument of torture. I fitted a Givi Airflow screen today and I will be seeing what Viking Vinyl can do for me on the seat front.

I have also fitted Givi crashbars and a Leo Vince stainless silencer. Doble's had fitted a Givi topbox rack as part of the deal so my E55 fitted straight on. The final addition is a Pyramid Plastics fender extender. I also have the Givi quick release pannier brackets for the Givi V33 panniers but I don't need to put those on just yet.

One observation relates to the brake pipes. Are they just the usual rubber flexible hoses or stainless pipes with a rubber covering?

Photos will follow. :002:

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: It's Arrived!!
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 06:45:41 PM
Nice one SHR61, Are you Bob whos got his picture on the Dobles website? Looks ace in white, as i said before very nearly went for it myself.

You obviously had a similar experience at Dobles as i did, they've been great with us, called them today to take out the service plan, all sorted in about 3 minutes.

The Givi quick release mounting system is excellent, took it all off, first time in about 90 seconds.

Ive fitted a fender extender, got a R&G rad guard and Pyramid plastics hugger to go on.
I agree the screen is going to need changing, not sure which one yet  but im loving riding it, got over 400 miles on it already.
 :305:

Paul

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 07:10:55 PM
Hello Paul,

I am indeed Bob. :002:

It is chucking it down right now and has been most of the day here but I have a client taking his module 2 test tomorrow so I will be able to report on how I find the Givi screen.

One thing I was surprised at is the weight saving of the Leo Vince against the standard silencer. The difference between the two was only four pounds, with the standard weighing in at 11 pounds (5kg) and the Leo Vince at 7 pounds (3.2kg)
Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:44:49 PM by SHR61

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 07:14:44 PM
Congrats on the bike

A couple of observations from your post.....

The STD seat is normally well thought of as 'all day comfy'  so it might just need some use before you spend money on a replacement?

The speedo reads almost exactly 10% fast but it still does build speed really smoothly and without drama, just remember when showing 70mph you are doing about 63mph really :015:)

Have fun  :305:

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 07:27:42 PM
I always read comments from guys not happy with their motorbikeseats. Not just the CT.
This summer I did 1100 km in one day, and I have to admit that by the end of the day I was happy to be home. But.......on my XX I had a Bagsterseat with gel which costed me around €400. A lot of money for the little difference in comfort.
Everyone has a different weight. I can imagine that the seat will feel different with a person of 70 kg or a person of over 100 kg.

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 07:47:47 PM
*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]
Congrats on the bike

A couple of observations from your post.....

The STD seat is normally well thought of as 'all day comfy'  so it might just need some use before you spend money on a replacement?

The speedo reads almost exactly 10% fast but it still does build speed really smoothly and without drama, just remember when showing 70mph you are doing about 63mph really :015:)

Have fun  :305:

I will see how the seat does but I am a bit of a fat b'stard which puts pressure (literally) on any seat and the ride back from Doble's was giving serious ache of the derriere :002:

I will check the speedo against my sat nav at the earliest opportunity. I am used to the speedo on my GS which at an indicated 70mph was doing a true 69 so going back to a 10% inaccuracy will be a bit of a shock.

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: PLAYA BLANCA
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:29:21 PM
Mine is 10% out and I'm still not used to it after over 6k, sh#t really init that in this day and age that a company as looked up to as Honda is for they're engineering and build quality that they can't get a simple calibration somewhere in the ball park.

Great bike though enjoy
Cheers Blu

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 08:50:26 PM
It is more a precaution, Blumeeni. Not that they can't do it. It is displayed higher on purpose. The same goes for many Japanese makers. I am inclined to say all, but I haven't tested all brands personally, so I refrain from doing so.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

arab-exile