Author Topic: Why should I buy CT?  (Read 4234 times)

Offline crsstrr60

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: Crosstourer MY14
  • City / Town: Lisse
Why should I buy CT?
on: September 05, 2013, 08:58:02 PM
Until now I have read a lot on this forum about the CT. For 40 years I' m a Honda man and I love the bikes I have had. But on this forum I see a few " problems " with the bike. Screens, suspension, cases and weatherprotection. I have ridden the bike a few times and I like it ( the DCT) and also my wife thinks it 's more stable than the Pan 1300. But I'm still doubting. Please help me to make a decision.
'05 Pan European ST1300
1958 Triumph Trophy TR6

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Re: Why should I buy CT?
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:18:21 PM
The problems are minor. You will not regret owning it if you like the bike (I am under the impression you do).

I have also owned a Pan, before buying the CT. It can't be compared to Pan in terms of weather protection. CT is not a pure tourer, but it can still cover long distances with no problem for the rider. Longest I did was 930kms in a day. I have no problems with the original screen, I am 1.84m tall. I do welcome some air on my body, what I like about the original is that there is absolutely no buffeting for me. If I need to improve that, I would keep the original screen and put a spoiler on top of it.

As for cases, the original panniers are quite good and handy, but they are considered somewhat expensive. There are MANY options from various brands, you should have no problem finding what suits you best. The original topcase lacks the quality you expect, especially in water resistance department. But like I said, options are many.

Suspension is only a problem if you are going offroad (imho). Compared to Pan, you wont feel them lacking in any way, on most of the roads.

For me, and many others, these are not big issues that make the bike something to be avoided. It handles superbly, the engine is sublime, the quality of the bike in general is outstanding. Comfort? Check. Performance? Check. Reliability? Check. If you like its looks and enjoy it when you ride it, I suggest go make the leap. You 99% likely wont regret it.

I have owned mine for barely over 4 months. 11.000kms on it. I totally enjoyed it so far. When I swap bikes with friends, my respect for this bike is renewed every time.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 09:25:10 PM
You see problems with the bike on this forum? Try going to a GS or Triumph forum, you`ll find plenty more. Today I passed the 37000 km  mark and it went quite effortless. Some minor hickups but they were (are) well managed by my dealership (www.motortotaal.com) in Terneuzen.
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 10:26:08 PM
The CT is not the perfect bike.....but what is? If you find out let me know.

Yes the CT has some issues, but I think overall they are not big issues, and an easily be sorted out one way or the other.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:53:46 PM
*Originally Posted by Allroadtoad [+]
You see problems with the bike on this forum? Try going to a GS or Triumph forum, you`ll find plenty more. Today I passed the 37000 km  mark and it went quite effortless. Some minor hickups but they were (are) well managed by my dealership (www.motortotaal.com) in Terneuzen.

Sums it up very well, no major problems here for the majority, has there been a complete failure of any main mechanical component?  Veejay has had a loom replaced very quickly by his dealer but that has been the one and only real problem that i am aware of.
Only minor inconveniences at most so far and personal preferences for getting the bike the way we want it. No engine rebuilds, gearbox, clutch replacements unlike the journalists choices in this market

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Why should I buy CT?
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:06:48 PM
I love mine and can't fault it. Suspension works fine, engines a peach, brakes are great, got my own luggage so no issues and I opted for the Honda taller touring screen. It's great and I'm 6'2" - often I hear people on here grumbling about this n that but for me it's the best bike I've had - period! Just go and demo one and make up your own mind is my advise ;-)

Offline paperman

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Irvine
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 12:07:53 PM
I wouldnt worry about faults on the ct, as mentioned earlier, they are few and minor. Most of the difficulties are more personal settings, all bikes are the same.
The ct for me is probly the best tourer I've had and used (must be made by carlsberg !!). I mostly have the wife on the back, and bought the dct SE version, and theres no way back from that as far as she is concerned, very comfy, smooth and suitable for distance. Its also lively when needed. The side cases are good, top case is actually ok but a few have issues with water ingress.
Suspension/screens etc are items we always play about with, no matter what bike you have, I personnally like the standard suspension, but changed to a GIVI screen. Different helmets/rider shape/height, so many variables to play with.
Its a well built Honda !, try it, you wont be disappointed, the engine and grunt from it is peachy

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 04:34:39 PM
"why should I buy a CT"

The engine.. end of :047: