Author Topic: Pulling Effect  (Read 2607 times)

Offline isaac

• Crosstourer Junior
Pulling Effect
on: August 30, 2013, 09:22:22 AM
About 2 months ago I experienced loss of power just after 5 minutes into a morning ride. I soon realized it is not the engine but its the brakes as when I stopped and went into neutral, the engine was ok. Then about 2 weeks after, same thing happened and I am pretty sure its the brakes. Just a few days ago, same thing happened and the pull got stronger and I was forced to stop on the road shoulder. I could not pull the front brakes when the bike was stationary. Now that I know something is probably wrong with the brakes, I can merely tell the dealer my experience as I cannot recreate the situation.
While at the dealer, the guy mentioned that the rear brake caliper was hot and yes it was. The rotors were almost untouchable due to the heat. So we presumed its the brakes rubbing that caused the heat and the pulling effect. However, when I visited my usual mech, he put the bike on main stand and tried to spin the wheel and it was tight even when he knocked the calipers to free it a little.
Diagnostics at dealer shows speed sensor error ... and nothing relevant. So I will probably have to send it for a more detailed diagnostic.

Anyone experienced this?

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Pulling Effect
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:42:17 AM
It's not a DCT version is it and you've had the rear park brake on all the while ???

Offline isaac

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:09:53 PM
Nope. Manual version sir :)

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:38:35 PM
Ok was just having a brain storm thinking what it possibly could be, good luck mate sorting it ;-)

Offline Vrom

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 09:02:32 AM
Give the calipers en good cleaning ?

Offline isaac

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 04:47:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. Will update when I get the issue sorted. But may I check if of you guys experience your final drive and rear brake calipers gets hot like 60°~70° C. The rotors are so hot that you cannot touch.

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 06:12:15 PM
Hi,
If the rear wheel is not moving relatively freely when the bike is in neutral on the centre stand then the brakes are binding - you would also be getting lousy fuel economy! Average for a manual should be ~ 10.1 miles/litre.... (more if you ride like a Nun carrying fairy cakes to a Sunday school picnic, and less if you ride it like you stole it!).

Offline isaac

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 04:25:23 PM
After much concern, I took my CT to my regular mech rather then Honda's service centre. Got the calipers cleaned and replaced new pads and no issues since. Just thought I close this thread with this reply so if anyone has a similar issue, similar solution could be carried out. Maybe almost worn out brake pads caused the issue but hey, I am happy the problem is gone! Thanks everyone who responded!