Author Topic: New Aprilia Caponord is indeed thirsty  (Read 2922 times)

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
New Aprilia Caponord is indeed thirsty
on: August 25, 2013, 06:40:09 PM
I've just read the September' issue of "RIDE" magazine and the test between the Caponord and the Multistrada. The table of specifications at the end of the article is incorrect ( ref the size of the fuel tanks on the bikes) but during the test the rider (Gary Inman) states
 "the Capo's fuel tank is 4 litres bigger than the 'Strada's, and it needs it. Over the course of the day in the Peaks, with the two bikes running in each other's shadow, the Aprilia drinks 4 litres more juice per 110 miles of A-road and some enthusiastic riding"
 That's pretty extreme!-as the Multistrada has 150hp and weighs 217kg and the Capo has 125hp and weighs 228kg.
Saxon747 gave us the heads up on this and with rose tinted glasses on my behalf, I did'nt want to believe it, but that's pretty clear.
Not sure if Ducati were ever renowned for good consumption(?) but its a credit to them to achieve such bhp/mpg figures.... however its £4429 GBP more expensive than the Capo  :112:
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Re: New Aprilia Caponord is indeed thirsty
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 08:32:21 PM
Ey up Trekker,

I had a test ride on the new Capo a few weeks ago. When i got back to the dealer we were having a natter and i asked if he could check what the fuel consumption was for the ride i'd just had. He cycled through the displays on the dash but couldn't find out what i'd used and said it was probably around 50 mpg. I didn't believe a word of it as i'd read a few reports that it was more like 35-40mpg but surely a dealer wouldn't tell lies  :005:

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:44:25 PM
mmm a cover up! and also from that article the testers note that with all the electronics on board it does not  have a "range to empty display" on the dash.
No much need to worry though( for me), we don't even have a Aprilia dealer here in the Republic!
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 09:34:48 PM
I've owned 3 of the Rotax engine Aprilia V-twins and when used ' enthusiastically' they never give much more than 35mpg, what did they expect from an 1190cc V-twin?

An Aprilia Tuono ridden hard is lucky to get 80 miles before the fuel light comes on  :005:

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 09:39:05 AM
*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]

An Aprilia Tuono ridden hard is lucky to get 80 miles before the fuel light comes on  :005:

It's a bloody good 80 miles though eh! :305:

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 06:27:07 PM
Yep it is:)
Still got my T and love taking it out for a blast. It just feels so 'alive' if you know what I mean. The noise, the light front end, the wind blast. The CT is a good bike as well....just different:)
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 04:26:10 PM
*Originally Posted by slomogadgie [+]
Yep it is:)
Still got my T and love taking it out for a blast. It just feels so 'alive' if you know what I mean. The noise, the light front end, the wind blast. The CT is a good bike as well....just different:)

My Tuono is a keeper... I plan to exit this world on it in a Police chase at 95 yrs of age. One massive final crash and cremated in a ball of flames :156: :156:

Thats assuming we can still buy petrol in 45 yrs time  :138:

arab-exile