Author Topic: Is it really only a 21 litre tank?  (Read 3456 times)

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Is it really only a 21 litre tank?
on: August 24, 2013, 07:49:25 PM
I have been waiting for weeks for my mate to send me this picture, it was taken a few miles after we got off the ferry in Rotterdam in June when we embarked on our Alps trip.

After being delayed getting across to Hull on Friday afternoon I was assured by the trip organiser that we were filling up all the bikes BEFORE boarding the ferry so we could get a swift start when we landed.  After being tail end Charlie to the ferry terminal it became clear he WASN'T going for fuel so I boarded with basically NO fuel in the tank. As we exited the ferry in the morning I expressed to the leader how desperate I was for fuel.

He said "don't worry too much, Mickster on the SMT has 2 x litres of fuel stored in fuel flasks in his backpack, just tell him to stay behind you just in case you run out" so this I did, Mickster agreed to follow me to the first fuel station we come across.

Anyway....a few miles (and a couple of 'diesel only' stations :008:) later and on a 2 lane 'motorway' without a refuge lane it happened, the CT started spluttering and jerking so I held up my left arm to signal I was in trouble and they all carried on and passed me.........yes they ALL carried on....... including Mickster!!!!

I was shouting at the pillock as he passed me but to no avail, as the bike shuddered to a halt and refused to start again I edged towards the railings on my RHS but with only about 300mm of room I was actually standing on the LHS of my bike and feeling in a pretty dangerous situation!!!  I was pushing the heavy beast and constantly snatching glances over my shoulder to see if the hazard lights (1st bike I've ever had with them on) were doing their job, I pushed for about 100m and eventually the bridge railings (we were above another road) ended and a grass verge began.

Phew....this allowed me to get around the other side to push which felt a 'little bit' safer and after a few more metres it began feeling 'lighter' so I sat on and 'paddled' on my tiptoes, at this point i'm doing about 5mph and gave a hopefull prod of the starter button...she runs!!!

"I'm saved" I thought

no I wasn't  ..........the DCT won't engage a gear unless the speedo is on '0'mph  :007: so I had to stop again to select DRIVE....at which point the engine cut out again :157: :157: :157:

Aaaargh!!!

I was off the bike and pushing hard again and to my relief saw a roadsign saying '200mtrs to the services' (I must have missed any earlier signs in my blind panic at my situation) and thankfully I almost made it to the sliproad so I could then just walk it in to the fuel pumps.

I only ever fill up when it's on the side stand and when I stopped the pump I looked up and said to my mate Gary "you've gotta get me a picture of that display before someone else goes on that pump"

So here it is

so yes.... it really IS a 21 litre fuel tank!!! :305:

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Is it really only a 21 litre tank?
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 09:30:21 PM
Did you happen to record the total miles covered up until it ran out??

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 09:44:36 PM
21.5L!  :211: :001:

Drama mate drama. I wondered what would happen to a DCT after it conked out. Now we know. Goes into neutral then? Clever honda peeps.

My best is 20.86L , 200.8 miles, gambling with the range. Still with a snifter of gas in the tank. Not good for the nerves! I always fill up sitting on bike.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:49:18 PM
*Originally Posted by cozmo1589 [+]
Did you happen to record the total miles covered up until it ran out??

Nah............its like the top speed etc....just check it the once then forget about it, I can't be arsed with keeping records of MPG etc

I just know it's great fun and isn't much thirstier than a 600 hornet so it'll do for me  :305:

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 09:25:04 AM
My local petrol station must be ripping me off then, as I've ridden into it with the engine still running and got 21.5 ltrs in the tank.

Maybe a black tank absorbs more fuel  :084:

Offline Acrosland

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Haworth
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 11:52:04 AM
last fill up was 205 miles 20.21 litres, maybe I wont leave it that late again  :005:

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 12:26:10 PM
I fill up when the tank indicates the flashing bar or soon after. I fill up and ride off. I can't see the point of over analysing everything on a motorbike. Get on it, ride it and enjoy it otherwise it becomes another job rather than a pleasure.

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 04:11:30 PM
*Originally Posted by SunAndSea [+]
I fill up when the tank indicates the flashing bar or soon after. I fill up and ride off. I can't see the point of over analysing everything on a motorbike. Get on it, ride it and enjoy it otherwise it becomes another job rather than a pleasure.

Think you need to read the OP.

arab-exile