IMG 0924 1 EICMA2011

Views: 506
Posted by: Giovannino
in: Giovannino
Finally my CT

Views: 281
Posted by: Jaafa
in: Jaafa

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil in airfilter  (Read 6978 times)

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Oil in airfilter
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:40:27 AM »
Today I removed the airfilter just to clean it a little bit. I was surprised to see oil underneath the filter. Where is this oil from?

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Re: Oil in airfilter
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 01:00:28 PM »
Its engine oil Barbancourt. 3 possible reasons- 1) you or somebody over filled the engine oil at the last service or top up or 2)Wrong oil type or 3) you are riding the s**t out of the CT all the time?
If its over filled, the breather pipe in the sump area which vents pressurised gasses created from the movement of pistons and exits them into the airbox area and includes them in the air charge back into the combustion chamber to reduce emissions. Over filling the sump with oil makes more actual liquid oil (rather than mist) go up this pipe and it lodges in the air box and contaminates the air filter. Its not a Honda design or flaw, its common to all engine types. Hope this helps with the investigation
T
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »
Thanks for your reply. It was already clear to me that it was engine oil. :-)
When I put the bike on the centrestand, the oil level is a bit over the max. ( 12.000 km service done in june by my Honda dealer). To be honest I've never checked it before because you normally don't need to check the oil level of a Honda;-)
The reason why I started to check my bike was that yesterday after a ride, the bike smelled as if something was burning!
Today I dissasembled half the bike to see if I could find a burned e-wire or something else that looked burned. Couldn't find anything.
To make sure, I will go to my dealer tomorrow.
I hope there in nothing wrong, because on monday the bike has to be ready for a trackday, something I won't tell them!:-)

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: PLAYA BLANCA
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »
Just suck a bit out through the fill hole but don't swallow  :004:.

seriously though you'll need to get it to the correct leve before you take it on track.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:27:08 PM by blumeeni »
Cheers Blu

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:48:37 PM »
Good luck, hope you get it sorted out by dealer...and please give us report of your track day...sounds great on the CT .

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »
If something is wrong with the bike, I certainly will report it here on the forum. I hope I will have some fun during the track day. There will be some other guys I know on a GS ;-)

Offline benridesvfr1200x

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Boonah Qld
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:57:28 AM »
when changing air filter in my bike did also notice oil in airbox must b normal. just an idea on your burning smell check ur water pump weep hole if coolant comes out of weep hole it goes directly onto the exhaust catalitic converter which gives a bad smell. note coolant comes out my weep hole after riding in rain or washing bike as there is a weep hole at the top of water pump too and when water washes threw top hole and out bottom weep hole it washes out some dryed up coolant which leaves a green stain at bottom weep hole and sometimes goin on exhaust giving me a smell. i was first worried about this thinking my water pump was stuffed but upon reading vfr1200f forums this seems normal. i also downloaded vfr1200f workshop manual and it states that a small amount of weep of coolant from waterpump drain hole is normal as long as no drips when running. must allow a bit of coolant past seal which lubricates seal?  just a thought maybe ur burning smell?

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »
 Back home from my dealer. Everything is OK except that there was a little to much oil in the bike. After having removed the oil he told me that there was certainly no water or fuel mixed in the oil.
Also the oil underneath the filter in normal. At least that's what he said!