Author Topic: Some Questions  (Read 9728 times)

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Some Questions
on: August 14, 2013, 08:55:26 PM
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right section but I'm sure a moderator will move it to an appropriate section if needed.

I currently have a R1200GS Adventure which I have owned for nearly a year. Prior to that I had a R1200GS which I bought new in 2005 and sold this summer after almost eight happy years of ownership with minimal issues during the time I owned it. The GSA has been great fun but I went to the French Alps at the end of June and my wife rode her bike on tour for the first time instead of sitting on the back and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The trip got me thinking about the need for a bike as capable two up as the GSA as I also have a K1600GT which SWMBO has pronounced as the most comfy bike she has ridden pillion on an a rear seat she describes as "my seat". She will do more tours abroad on her own bike but if she wants to enjoy the scenery then we will take the K1600.

So I have been taking a few of the adventure bikes out for test rides over the last month. So far I have ridden the F800GS Adventure, Triumph Tiger Explorer, Yamaha XTZ1200, KTM 1190 Adventure, Ducati Multistrada and finally the CT.

I have ruled out the F800GS (I found it too cramped and while it pulled well for an 800 I prefer the heft of a bigger engine) and the Tiger (ergos didn't suit me and also previous dealings with Triumphs factory warranty department that left a bad taste in the mouth).

To be honest nothing has really stood out and given me the wow factor. The KTM was wickedly fast, handled well and has good ergos but the heat from the rear cylinder was oppressive. The Multistrada had good ergos, went like a scalded cat, handled well but the service costs are rather high (£750 for the 15000 mile service :012:). The Super Ten and CT were both pleasant surprises and very competent bikes, with the grunt of the CT and lack of vibes being particularly impressive.

Other factors do come into play of course. The service intervals on the CT are good at every 8k (only the KTM beats that at 9k) and I understand you can buy a service package in advance for £575 that covers the 600, 8k, 16k and 24k services which is very good value indeed. The service intervals on the Yam are every 6k with a valve check at 24k.

I have not had a proper ride on the new watercooled GS yet and I know the service intervals are every 6k but the service requirements compared to the older boxers are less thanks to the unit construction engine (no alternator drive belt to change and 12k valve checks instead of every 6k and no gearbox oil change every 12k) and of course the Adventure version is nearly with us.

So how are those who have a CT finding it? I have seen threads relating to heated grip problems and rear shocks being replaced due to seized preload adjusters but have any other issues raised their ugly head?

How have you found the tank range? I am used to going well over 300 miles per tank on the GSA and the K1600 can easily manage 250 per tank even when pushed.

How do you find seat comfort? I was starting to get a numb bum after 30 minutes so has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution?

I noticed a long thread on screens which I need to read but what about alternatives to the Honda panniers? For day to day use I have a Givi E55 top box but I will need more room when I go touring so has anyone tried other panniers?

Sorry for going on and asking so much but all help will be gratefully received.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Re: Some Questions
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 05:44:24 AM
I'm sure you have a 'cut and paste' going on the other maker forums as well....they will tell you there bike is best by far, but here is what I think truthfully on the CT.

For it's weight and height it can be by pretty good on the twisty stuff
It's as quick as you should ever need 99% of the time
The seat (IMO) could be better but I did 400miles in a day no problem with a few stops etc.
Range is ok with about 48-50 MPG
The screen can cause some buffeting (be ready to search for the holy grail there...good luck)
The suspension is okay for 39% of us, with another 39% tweating the standard to suit (forum fact....it seems:)

Like most people on here I have had loads of bikes over the years so I think I know what is ok. the CT is okay.....not perfect...but then what is.
Would I buy another one...probably because it does what I bought it for.
Cheers and good luck.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 09:36:28 AM
Amazingly, this has not been cut and pasted elsewhere :002: Thanks for your input though.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 05:16:42 PM
You have obviously covered a lot of homework on this, SHR61!.
Interesting facts about the service intervals on all the models. It is a big factor of course in the lifetime of a bike and the £750 service for the Multistrada would also rule it out for me. What can possibly take so much time if say consumables costed £200 ( oil+filter, air filter+plugs+sundries) and a workshop rate of £35 per hour, that would be over 15 hours labour! Are they rebuilding the engine and gearbox? Total nonsense.
The KTM issue of heat from the rear cylinder is one I know,  its strange how Honda avoid this ( as the engine is a similar V design) but they do and its very obvious in a city on a hot day. Another very good feature of the CT is its ability to shrug off side winds, may'be its the weight but its a vast improvement over my previous bike. The fairing has gotten a lot of development work done I guess.
The CT will not be able to match the big distances on a tankful of your BM's as it only has a 21.5 ltr tank, 180 - 200 miles is realistic.
We are still debating the 3 year service package from Honda, I suppose if you want peace of mind its a good idea but the normal services are around the same price ( over the 3 years).The very expensive plugs come after the 3 year package.
No big faults to report with the CT, Heated grips are an accessory and should not be considered a recall on the bike, the problem seems to be poor installation. Rear shock adjusters getting stuck has affected a few on here, The CT seems to throw a lot of muck up from the rear and may'be that's the cause.
Seat is fine for me and screens are a personal choice which I think affect every bike.
This is NOT a bashing from me about BM's, but a friend has a K1600 and it drinks oil from new( a frightening amount!). Is this common on the big K?
Cheers T :460:
Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 05:19:06 PM by thetrecker
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline ukiboy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Vfr1200x
  • City / Town: London
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 05:29:12 PM
The CT is a great bike in that typically Honda way; it just gets on and does the job with little fuss.. IMHO its not perfect straight out of the crate - an 11500 grand motorbike MUST come with a centre stand as standard!
Other than that I've added: radiator guard (as the rad is big, exposed and expensive looking), fenda extenda, Givi engine bars and a top box and now the bike is an ideal commuter/workhorse.

I find the build quality, user friendliness and performance to be utterly superb..
And I don't think you can even throw that typical criticism of Honda bikes at the CT; lack of character.. The big V4 makes a nice grumbly & vibey sound but at the same time it is wonderfully refined and smooth.. On a negative note, the CT is bloody heavy at 275kg but I find this weight magically disappears as soon as I let the clutch out and give it a bit of throttle..

I would recommend taking one out for an extended demo ride and see how you get on. And i'd also recommend Dobles as a dealer as they did me an amazing deal.

Good luck with your decisions and happy riding  :002:

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 06:35:42 PM
*Originally Posted by thetrecker [+]
You have obviously covered a lot of homework on this, SHR61!.
Interesting facts about the service intervals on all the models. It is a big factor of course in the lifetime of a bike and the £750 service for the Multistrada would also rule it out for me. What can possibly take so much time if say consumables costed £200 ( oil+filter, air filter+plugs+sundries) and a workshop rate of £35 per hour, that would be over 15 hours labour! Are they rebuilding the engine and gearbox? Total nonsense.

If only labour was £35 per hour in the south of England. The Ducati dealer closest to me charges £84 per hour including VAT and the service time set by Ducati for the 15k service is 6.2 hours. They change the belts that drive the desmo valve system at this service and that is £80 for two belts. Four spark plugs and engine oil and filter and it is easy to see why this service comes in at that price.

The KTM issue of heat from the rear cylinder is one I know,  its strange how Honda avoid this ( as the engine is a similar V design) but they do and its very obvious in a city on a hot day.

Ducati have avoided it too on the Multistrada as I didn't feel any heat from that area. The CT was the same.

Another very good feature of the CT is its ability to shrug off side winds, may'be its the weight but its a vast improvement over my previous bike. The fairing has gotten a lot of development work done I guess.

With the standard screen being so small it didn't generate much wind noise for me (I am 6'3" and I was wearing an Arai Quantum, not one of the quietest helmets) but it was stable, although it wasn't windy on the day of my test ride.

The CT will not be able to match the big distances on a tankful of your BM's as it only has a 21.5 ltr tank, 180 - 200 miles is realistic.

I was aware of that but if the CT can manage a 200 mile range then that will be good enough for me.

We are still debating the 3 year service package from Honda, I suppose if you want peace of mind its a good idea but the normal services are around the same price ( over the 3 years).The very expensive plugs come after the 3 year package.

The service plan covers the 600, 8k, 16k and 24k services and the 16k is the biggie with the valve check and this service on its own was quoted at £400 so the all in price of the service package does work in my favour given my annual mileage. It's those damn south of England labour rates again!!!! :012:

No big faults to report with the CT, Heated grips are an accessory and should not be considered a recall on the bike, the problem seems to be poor installation. Rear shock adjusters getting stuck has affected a few on here, The CT seems to throw a lot of muck up from the rear and may'be that's the cause.
Seat is fine for me and screens are a personal choice which I think affect every bike.

So a hugger might be the answer to help the shock and possibly a R & G shock tube? I have a shock tube on the front shock of my BM and the same tube also fits the rear shock of the CT. I'm not so sure of the heated grips as they seem very expensive. I might just go the muffs route for winter.

Seats and screens are so personal but as I am, ahem, a big chap, I seem to give seats a hard time :001:

This is NOT a bashing from me about BM's, but a friend has a K1600 and it drinks oil from new( a frightening amount!). Is this common on the big K?
Cheers T :460:

I have heard of some of the big K's drinking oil but it doesn't seem to be a problem for all. Mine has not consumed a drop but I didn't baby it during running in :002:
Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:37:27 PM by SHR61

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 07:13:23 PM
Hi,
My take on the CT:
Very smooth engine and gearbox.
Good economy (48mpg with pillion and fully loaded cases on a long run, mixed roads).
Suspension is ok once dialled in (it is a bit harsh on stock settings).
Screen is small but effective, good aftermarket options, and an easy mod to adjust screen angle can be done.
Seat is more comfortable for me than my GS and definitely more comfy than the KTM990 adv (torture!).
The wet weight is 275kg, which sounds way more than rivals - but they quote dry weight! Bear in mind that 21.5 litres of petrol weighs 16 kg + oil and coolant etc and you will soon see that the CT is very similar in weight to it's rivals (GS adventure 255kg +
33 litres petrol at 24.7 kg + engine oil +gearbox oil etc = 280 kg+).
The weight distribution is great and the bike actually feels lighter than a lot of other bikes in this class.
The Honda top box and luggage is superb in terms of weight and ratio of size to internal space. Some have had problems with the top box leaking, but mine has been fine in heavy downpours. The mounting system is the best I have ever used.
All in all I am very happy with my CT and, yes, I would buy another in a flash!  :001:

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 07:30:12 PM
A few points to note,
1. The new Multistrada has gone away from the rubber timing belts to come into line with servicing like other manufacturers ( as it was loosing them customers) and extended oil changes for the same reason so this is still extortion at the 15k service. Franchised Honda dealer in Northern Ireland is £31+V an hour!
2. I did mean side winds as in passing a gate and feeling a force that drives some bikes out to the white line. The CT does'nt notice them.
3. I am in the process of getting the 16k service price nailed down and will report back when I get it.
4. Its the remote adjuster that seizes on the rear shock ( which points out to the side to aid adjustment)  so a shock tube is of little help, a hugger has limited help also.
Lots of chat on here on heated grips.
Cheers T

Thanks T, I should move to Norn Ireland to get the better labour rates! I look forward to finding out your price for the 16k service.