Author Topic: DCT in Manual  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
DCT in Manual
on: August 14, 2013, 12:26:57 PM
I've been riding the CT since Apr 2012, and have usually used the bike in S-Mode, switching up and down with the manual buttons when required.

For the past 10 days, I have been on tour in the Alps and Dolomites, and have used the bike in manual mode almost the whole time - what a difference! Going up and down those passes was a dream.

I've really got the DCT manual mode sorted now, so for those twisties, it's manual mode for me from now on.  :305:

Has anyone else really given the manual mode a long try-out?

Offline Bitteliten

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: DCT in Manual
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 01:48:20 PM
I use all 3 modes almost every time I ride, dependent on my mood and what kind of roads

Tried new GS some weeks ago, and I do not want to go back to stone age manual gear box.

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 03:19:14 PM
Having done many a trip and over 40t km's by now here my habits:
Say on early mornings when you still are a bit lazy or in towns i am usually on D-mode. But then many times even shortly i switch to manual say for example pulling out of a roundabout quick. Manual almost a must and beeing really fun on windy roads or on mountain passes.
Then again switch back to D when strolling through long stretches and villages ... i seldom use S-mode.
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:06:32 PM
DOC... No offence intended but am I missing the point? ... what's the point of having the DCT if you ride it in manual on the best roads, which is where this bike really wants to be... I opted for the manual version, and feel happy with my choice.

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:10:40 PM
The point is that you CAN, you don`t have to. Personally, for me it`s bliss having the DCT because without, my motorcycling days would be near over. My right hand is partially numb/paralyzed due to Sudeck dystrofia, my left hand is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. So shifting gear with conventional gearboxes is becoming more and more painful for me. Hence the DCT
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline ojo

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD white
  • City / Town: Stans
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 08:20:41 PM
*Originally Posted by GeofftheChef [+]
DOC... No offence intended but am I missing the point? ... what's the point of having the DCT if you ride it in manual on the best roads, which is where this bike really wants to be... I opted for the manual version, and feel happy with my choice.

GeofftheChef
.... good point you mention. It may be a bit tricky to explain if you never experienced the Double clutch system. In the world of racecars, systems like this has been going on for years already - so who would know best. There are many articles and explanations out there so just one here:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/dual-clutch-transmission.htm

So driving a Crosstourer DCT in manual mode means some great fun actually. You shifting gears very fast WITHOUT having any interrupts in power flow on quick accelerations for example. Shifting gears is very easy just with a tip of your fingers. You actually shift gears much more often, say out of a corner you really gona max out ... then on the straight parts (as speed limits) you shortly shift up to 6th gear and before the next turn you just shift down 3 or 4 gears very quick again ... etc. So that really makes some difference to the manual gear version. Easy and fun, i am a fan of it. Of course you could let em be in S-mode but it would not be the same action play.

However, one downside of DCT is that on slow maneuvers you don't have a "clutch" to adjust the power on your backwheel ... you just have to rely on your throttle hand or put on some brake ...
Around the world and back ... driven Honda motorbikes all over Europe, Australia, NewZealand, Japan, Russia .....
my latest trip: http://www.austral.omania.ch/index.html

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 08:57:32 PM
OJO... thanks for a very good explanation... this now helps me understand some peoples choice of the DCT, and I appreciate earlier post from the guy who has hand problems, and its great that this technology is allowing him to still ride ... whatever model, I think we all agree that the Crosstourer is one great machine :)

Offline Buckr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X-DCT
  • City / Town: Walkington
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:25:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Allroadtoad [+]
The point is that you CAN, you don`t have to. Personally, for me it`s bliss having the DCT because without, my motorcycling days would be near over. My right hand is partially numb/paralyzed due to Sudeck dystrofia, my left hand is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. So shifting gear with conventional gearboxes is becoming more and more painful for me. Hence the DCT

I can fully agree with you.
I had the VFR1200f manual and also was considering giving up riding because of pain in my hands and knuckles from some arthritis and something nodules ???.
The DCT has made riding fun again and in manual is a real hoot.
The added bonus is the comfortable riding position, and I am now back to doing long Sunday ride outs and I'll even get the bike out to go to the shops just for the fun of it !!!
 :031:
If it ain't fun don't do it !

arab-exile