Author Topic: Insulted  (Read 5404 times)

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Insulted
on: August 09, 2013, 01:49:53 PM
Yesterday, sitting on a terrace, a guy insulted me by asking if this was the new GS, pointing to my bike!!!!!  :305:

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Re: Insulted
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 03:30:04 PM
Barbancourt, before i start i'm not trying to insult you or wind you up but i have to ask, why the dislike of BMW? Not just from you but so many people.
I must admit that one thing i have noticed is that BMW dealers are the most arrogant of any i have spoken to but then it is easy to burst their bubble by criticizing their bikes (just tell them they are a bit gutless and vibey, it works a treat  :028:)
BMW cars and bikes seem to attract a certain type of arrogant character (sorry about the generalisation, obviously there are exceptions) but Honda are also seen as a very bland, conservative manufacturer who are despised by many for producing soulless bikes and cars.
Have you had bad experiences as a BMW owner in the past?

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 03:46:55 PM
It is not that I dislike BMW or particulary the GS. I had one myself last year for a few months.
I have the idea that when people see a bike on high legs, it must be a GS! I agree that most of them are BMWs.
When I wrote this, it was more meant as a joke!  :431:

Offline IanM

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • City / Town: Derby
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:16:48 AM
I am pleased to report that nobody has asked me whether my GS is a Honda.   :005:

And by way of interesting facts, I was at the Johannesburg Motorcycle Show at the weekend, where the GS LC is R30,000 (roughly £2,000) cheaper than it is in the UK, which I found very interesting.  I can't comment on Honda prices, though, since they weren't at the show, but Kawasaki, Yamaha and Suzuki all were along with HD, Moto Guzi and a couple of Chinese firms making bikes which looked like Hondas - everything from a CG125 lookalike to something that looked very much like a Pan.

And the really good news is that I can go home on Thursday and get my GS out of the garage again!  Can't wait.   :305:
IanM

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:18:14 AM
*Originally Posted by Barbancourt [+]
Yesterday, sitting on a terrace, a guy insulted me by asking if this was the new GS, pointing to my bike!!!!!  :305:
:008:

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT
  • City / Town: Fyvie
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 12:38:14 PM
Ive had an 800GS for 3 years and I'd never buy another BMW in my life !

Paint flaking off the engine casings like there is no tomorrow.

I'll not repeat numerous threads I have posted, but this is a link to the first one, needless to say since then it appeares this problem has been on the go for a while and BMW don't give a toss.

http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335483&page=4

:230:

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 05:42:34 PM
My long (and expensive and frustrating) association with BMW lead me to the conclusion that the ONLY thing BMW give a toss about is removing your money from your bank account....... 'nuff said!

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 08:41:24 PM
*Originally Posted by veejay [+]
My long (and expensive and frustrating) association with BMW lead me to the conclusion that the ONLY thing BMW give a toss about is removing your money from your bank account....... 'nuff said!

Veejay and Russ, how come you have had reliability and warranty issues with BMWs? Every time they are mentioned in the press the line "legendary reliability and build quality" is mentioned. Are you trying to tell me that the press are being dishonest?  :005:

Seriously, i'm sorry that you both had issues with your bikes. The corrosion on Russ's 800 was shocking, and for BMW to try and pass it off as owner neglect is disgraceful. Thanks for highlighting your problem Russ as i was seriously considering buying an 800 GS as a daily hack. No chance of that now  :110:

The press should be on our side and highlight these issues so we know which manufacturers can be trusted with our money, instead they are happy to take the advertising revenue that these manufacturers provide and lie to us. I don't think it is any coincidence that the manufacturers who advertise the most such as Triumph and BMW are the ones whos bikes constantly get the best reviews. On the Triumph Explorer forum there is a thread over 200 pages long regarding the cam buckets fiasco which i have never seen any mention of in the press. I wonder why? If it wasn't for the internet we would never hear about these problems. Top marks to Triumph though for admitting that there is a problem and is addressing it, probably at a massive cost to themselves  :028: