Author Topic: Which Video Cam ?  (Read 5334 times)

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
Which Video Cam ?
on: August 04, 2013, 10:21:27 PM
I fancy mounting a video cam onto my bike...which do you have and recommend ? (Only those who own and have used them with satisfactory results please) ... thanks !

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Re: Which Video Cam ?
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 10:38:59 PM
*Originally Posted by GeofftheChef [+]
I fancy mounting a video cam onto my bike...which do you have and recommend ? (Only those who own and have used them with satisfactory results please) ... thanks !

That's a bit rude, so you only have time to read satisfactory results. What if someone has had unsatisfactory results.....are they not allowed to have an opinion? Could save you heartache and money in the long run.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 10:52:53 PM
Of course all are allowed opinion... just that I would prefer positive feedback on their purchase rather than having to review products only to find they are not suitable or recommended...no offence or rudeness intended. I have bought two in the past (cheap ones) and have proved to be useless at any speed over about 30mph, probably more suited to a cycle so would like to hear of any that can be used satisfactorily on a motorcycle mount.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:31:21 PM
Thanks,
So what's the two cheap ones that were rubbish? Maybe someone has had good results with them, but they might not need to post if you're already dismissed those types...if you know what I mean.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline bender

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 07:28:54 AM
I have recently bought a gopro hero 3, black ed. for my trip to Turkey. I put it at the top of the helmet to have a wider angle, and the quality of the videos was impressive. You will need two or more class 10 32gb cards (64 not recommended) because the camera literally eats them quickly. If money is not your problem,  buy it...

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 08:53:04 AM
Bender, i agree with you that the gopro is relativ good camera. But if you put it on the wrong place of your bike, or if you don't play with the settings, you can also have super bad videos.
I also could recommend cams with a remote control! I recently bought one for my Gopro 2.
It makes it easy to switch on/off the whole cam, switch between diffent settings etc.....

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 11:28:29 AM
*Originally Posted by bender [+]
I have recently bought a gopro hero 3, black ed. for my trip to Turkey. I put it at the top of the helmet to have a wider angle, and the quality of the videos was impressive. You will need two or more class 10 32gb cards (64 not recommended) because the camera literally eats them quickly. If money is not your problem,  buy it...

Did you come to Turkey yet or is it in yopur plans? Let me know if you need some advice.

As for the cam question: I use Drift HD 1080. It has a package that covers most of the basic stuff you need, esp the remote is important. Its quality is solid. The newer Drift Ghost HD seems to be better in all aspects, it was somewhat expensive for me so bought the previous version.

Recommended.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline bender

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 12:21:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Barbancourt [+]
Bender, i agree with you that the gopro is relativ good camera. But if you put it on the wrong place of your bike, or if you don't play with the settings, you can also have super bad videos.
I also could recommend cams with a remote control! I recently bought one for my Gopro 2.
It makes it easy to switch on/off the whole cam, switch between diffent settings etc.....

Gopro Hero black has WiFi too!!!!!!  And With gopro android app you can watch a preview of your next recording on your mobile screen.
It's very recommended to read carefully the instructions manual,  to avoid strange videos (As Babancourt says). It's easy even for a newbie like me.