Author Topic: New Boots  (Read 2964 times)

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
New Boots
on: July 30, 2013, 06:00:20 PM
Battlewings gone, Trailmax on!

Battlewing rear was heavily squared off by the previous owner so had to go.... Bike instantly feels more responsive and stable (not surprising as I reckon I could have stood the bike up without the centre stand on the squared off rear!).
Will update post at a later date with my impressions.

How many others have fitted the TR91 trailmax, and how have they performed?

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Re: New Boots
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 06:39:07 PM
Heard good things about the TR91's on here,
I am running the older style Trailmax ( not the TR91's) on another bike with good effect. I don't think Dunlop made too many dud's... except for may'be trailwings, but they were of a different era.
Let us know how you get on.
Cheers T
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 10:17:57 AM
I went from the original Death Wings to TR91'a and they are a vast improvement. The Bridgestones were so bad I actually thought I had a fault with the ABS/ Traction Control system. Turns out I just had tyres made of Bakelite  :745:

Not a massive amount to say about the Dunlops. They do the job. Been down to Germany and up to Scotland on them in the company of sportsbikes and they've never given me a scary moment. Although I have surprised a few of the crotch rocket brigade  :164:

They're squared off now though from commuting so they need changing. Going to try PR3's. Not because I'm not happy with the TR91's but just for a change. Had about 6k miles out of them.

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 02:36:07 PM
Good news! 6K will do for me :062:

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 06:24:11 PM
Well,
One month in and 1300 miles on the Dunlops - they don't wow me! They are ok, but I actually prefer the Battlewings which I found were happier in the corners. Have messed with tyre pressures as the 42psi/36psi seems too hard with the TR91's. Dropped the pressures to 40/34 and they give a more compliant ride, but are a bit 'squirmy'... good in the wet though.
I find the bike wants to fall into the bend too quickly and causes me to have to correct mid corner. I will try going back to the 42/36 pressures and give it another go now they are about 1/3rd worn (can't see the rear getting to 6k). I think the tyre walls have been stiffened on these tyres and that is what makes the ride feel more harsh - which doesn't help the suspension cope with bumps. Not sure what I will replace them with when they need to go - probably conti TA 2's..

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 07:27:24 PM
What are the tyres the bike comes with out of the factory? Is it the Trailwings?
Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 11:15:08 PM by SHR61

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 10:33:48 PM
Bridgestone B502 Battlewings or Pirelli Scorpions..

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 11:15:49 PM
*Originally Posted by veejay [+]
Bridgestone B502 Battlewings or Pirelli Scorpions..

So it would appear the Scorpions are the better of the two?

arab-exile