Author Topic: Also back home !  (Read 4410 times)

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT
  • City / Town: Fyvie
Also back home !
on: July 28, 2013, 08:57:30 PM
Well we managed 3200 miles from Aberdeenshire to Ried in the Austrian Tyrol and the bike was fantastic. Even with a standard seat neither me nor the wife suffered from sore arses, which was a boost !
I will write up a proper report once I can get all the photos downloaded but there were so many highlights its difficult to put them in any order.
With regards to the bike itself, I found out a few things on the long ride.
First of all the MRA Screen with the extra bit was amazing, I could ride along with the visor cracked open and didn't get any bugs in my face, just fresh air and the main flow was over the helmet ! The screen either took the hit or the top of my helmet which didn't matter and as it was so hot it was a godsend.
The Givi Removable rack and standard panniers were brilliant too, enabling me to take the Pannier Rack off for the 5 days we stayed in one place, it was especially useful going up the Stelvio when I dropped the bike (slowly!) because if the rack had been in place it would probably been bent.
One downside I noticed was on bumpy roads, fully loaded up with 2 people, panniers and top box the centre stand touched down on corners which was a bit of a worry, even with with the suspension wound right up. Still just had to take it easy on road like that.
Generally, after 2 weeks of riding I was really impressed.
I bought a cheap Chinese ((£35) Bluetooth headset which worked brilliantly with my old Garmin 765 and that too was a godsend, especially finding our way to the hotels we had booked, The screen was a bit awkward to see but it is a car one so only to be expected, I actually found the speech much more useful and was well impressed, even played my music on the long haul back up the UK from the Channel Tunnel.
Anyway here are a few choice photos !!

I also have a video of the Stelvio which I will eventually upload !!

:001:
Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:59:40 PM by russ_fae_fyvie

Offline ukiboy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Vfr1200x
  • City / Town: London
Re: Also back home !
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 09:43:16 PM
 Sounds like a dream road trip! Pictures are great - the CT sure does look good in black  :152:

What sort of fuel economy did you average?

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 10:42:41 PM
Looks like the bike been down on its right side judging by the damage to the side bars and engine . What happened there??

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:32:30 AM
cracking pix min! Any chance we can meet up so I can hear the can in the flesh so to speak?
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:05:13 AM
Fuel was actually better than I thought it might be, best day I think was just short of 220 miles for a tank full, it said there were 33 km left in the tank as we were starting to panic !!

The damage was done about 6 hairpins from the top, as I was lining up a right hander, a group of cyclists appeared across my side of the road so had to take evasive action and ended up hitting the kerb, luckily only at walking pace but went down like a sack of spuds ! Cyclists just kep going, luckily lots of bikers on each corner so was upright again pretty quick with the hlpe of loads of hands !

Bike was fine and the Crash Bars did a great job but turned out missus broke a bone in her elbow, luckily after an x ray it just neede strapping. The cyclists were ididots, on the way down on the North side, they were undertaking cars and motorcycles on the hairpins and were lucky not to get wiped out.
Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 08:07:11 AM by russ_fae_fyvie

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:34:04 AM
We also met terrorist cyclists in the Dolomites this week. Some of them, mostly in a group, dirive downhill like idiots, thinking they are pro's. The only thing they forget is that during a cyclist race no one is coming from the other side!

Offline paperman

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Irvine
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:07:14 AM
Hi Russ
Crackin adventure, and good photos. Wee bit of damage on the ct, they dont drop softly. I found this spare parts catalog download for ct, after a wee fall on my own driveway  :005:, I needed a new DCT clutch cover, the bars dont seem to protect the engine covers.
http://www.2shared.com/document/HiHetuse/VFR1200X_Spare_parts_catalogue.html

cheers

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 10:02:11 AM
Cheers for that, yeah the only bit of the bike that got marked was the RH cover so I'll have a look at sorting that.

thanks for the link !

:031: