Author Topic: Changing oils  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Changing oils
on: July 28, 2013, 05:55:20 PM
I have the different oils in the bike changed according to the service manual and it's done by the dealer.
Why do so many of you change the different oils so often? I would appreciate an explanation, because I can't see the point myself. What am I missing here? Is it because of extreme riding or over-cautiousness due to previous bad experiences?

Thanks in advance for your understanding at my lack of knowledge on this subject - I'm the original Mr Tarmac.  :002:

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Re: Changing oils
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:12:47 PM
Hi Doc,
By different oils I assume you mean the engine oil and the differential oil, there are only the two, ( brake fluid to be changed also, it has an oil content also). My take on it is, I have been servicing all vehicles since '87 and at that time a mineral oil was the norm and generally was changed at 3000 miles, it would break down much easier than today's semi/full synth oils. As time and technology moved on we got tighter tolerances and emission in engines and semi synth oil totally replaced mineral oils, the service intervals increased to 5000miles +.Then fancy fuel injection systems came along and required the engine oil to preform extra functions like create hydraulic pressure for common rail units etc and an even higher spec oil was called for, this and ever increasing service intervals,  had a full synth oil introduced.
Our CT intervals for engine oil is 8000miles and this is in part to the high quality oil available today and in part to competition saying their intervals are longer and buyers thinking it will cost them less over 6 years of ownership to buy that brand of bike. I like to stick to around 5000 miles intervals or if its close and I am going away on a 2000 mile trip, I will change it for peace of mind.
With relation to the Differential oil, It does'nt need to be changed as often but it has done the same mileage as the engine oil and at 200 mls  quantity ( a litre can will do 5 changes)and about 10 minutes to change its a no brainer for me. A side note to this, at my 8000 mile dealer service the air filter was changed ( it was'nt to be changed until 24k miles!)as it was filthy so its always better to check and be safe!
T
Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:20:19 PM by thetrecker
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:15:02 AM
The differential oil as you rightly say doesnt need changing so often, but it is relatively straight forward-if you get the right oil :164:
I think some of us are natural fiddlers, rightly or wrongly, i suppose each to there own  :031:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 07:30:42 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I understand that the life of the components will increase if the oil is changed regularly. I've seen sump plugs with a magnet insert to catch the iron-filings in the oil - does the CT have this? I think this would be a good sign that something was amiss.

I don't 'tinker' with my bikes, and usually change them every 2 years - with the CT it will be 3 years because of the 3 year warranty - so the extra caution is not important for me.

I've seen how dirty the air filter gets in pictures on here - so I'll get that done at the next service.

Cheers,
Doc

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:33:07 PM
I did not notice a magnet in the sump plug when i changed my engine oil.

I hope to own my ct for a long time and will keep it in tip top nick, lavishing high quality oil (finally)and polishing the arse off the big girl  :034:

If i can afford it later, i may get another sports bike and keep the ct for touring duties, although it is capable for fast road riding

arab-exile