Author Topic: had to order new back wheel  (Read 5050 times)

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200x
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
had to order new back wheel
on: July 27, 2013, 11:10:28 AM
Due to my own stupidity..ive had to order a new back wheel. It started back in April
When i managed to slightly damage four spokes (dont ask) and Honda in Falkirk
Changed the spokes out, tightened everything up and did a wheel balance to make sure everthing was ok. Fast forward to yesterday..and i noticed one of my spokes at the actual screw
Section going into the hub has snapped (Dont know if its new one or an original). This bike is also my work bike and im riding about 2 miles each way under 30mph ....do u think this wheel will hold for a week orso till i get a replacement ??? Surely these tyres must be built with some redundancy..and if not why the h*ll not...any help would be appreciated

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: had to order new back wheel
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:41:14 AM
If its not being subjected to any off road or heavy use I would have no problem running it for a few days as you have indicated, however I would remove the broken spoke to make sure it doesn't do any further damage to the surrounding area

Feeling your pain  :019:

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 08:01:14 PM
Whoa  :005:, why does having a broken spoke mean you having to order a new back wheel? Is the rim bent? Sorry if asking brings back painful memories mate.

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:45:16 PM
Im ordering a new wheel because two wheels and Pheonix honda dont have the skills or equipment to repair this wheel. Theres a company down south who apparently do great work on rebuilding rims but they take on average a month. When pheonix honda replaced the spokes the first time..they said the wheel was ok..but they were'nt wheel rebuilders..and all they could do was replace the spokes. Im buying a new wheel as i think the wheel may have buckled ever so slightly and even though i cant feel it..i dont trust it.

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:20:06 AM
I bet it's bloody expensive :005:

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:31:18 PM
There is a few companies who rebuild wheels around the country. Its easy to get the wheel picked up by parcel force etc and delivered. Incidently theres an old guy near chester le street who totally rebuilt my yam tt350 wheels, i think hes under north east wheels. If your interested i can dig his number.
Theres also hagon wheels who are a bigger firm and will probamly have a fast turn around.
It would be worth sending your wheel away and get the rim inspected. It may be okay and save you a ton of money, unless your loaded anyway  :164:
Good luck, hope its sorted soon

Offline ozbar

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 09:09:40 PM
This is ridiculous...apparently its going to be October before i get this new wheel from Honda??? Im waiting for a call back from customer servies to let me know if thats the actual date..and maybe an explanation. Is there somewhere in Japan i could buy one faster...online...ebay...honda parts place..anywhere??? Any help would b appreciated.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 07:13:27 AM
*Originally Posted by ozbar [+]
This is ridiculous...apparently its going to be October before i get this new wheel from Honda??? Im waiting for a call back from customer servies to let me know if thats the actual date..and maybe an explanation. Is there somewhere in Japan i could buy one faster...online...ebay...honda parts place..anywhere??? Any help would b appreciated.

They make them WITH spokes exactly for this reason, they are much more flexible and also REPAIRABLE when damage occurs.

IMHO you really need to research more on finding a wheel rebuilder (some help was offered in an earlier post?)

Anyway................can I be the first to ask?  "how did it happen" :164:

:305: