Author Topic: Can't decide - help needed  (Read 3238 times)

Offline gsig

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: VFR1200
  • City / Town: Tunbridge Wells
Can't decide - help needed
on: July 25, 2013, 11:03:51 AM
I use my current VFR1200 mainly for weekend fun and European tours all 2-up. 20,000 miles in 2 years. Its proven great but a little bit more luggage space and fuel range would be great plus I'm looking to try the more up-right riding position. At the moment I'm leaning towards a Crosstourer or KTM 1190 adventure. Had a couple of goes on both and really liked them. The flick-ability and generally more relaxed riding position was great. My wife/pillion like the seating position but wasn't so keen on me sitting upright and restriction her forward visibility. Can't decide which....

KTM for - light weight, lower than CT seat height, fuel capacity, v sporty performance, electronic suspension (pre-load & damping), WP quality suspension, dashboard features, control of dashboard from handlebars
KTM against - unknown brand for me, chain drive, weirs tyre size reducing tyre choice/availability, engine harshness/buzziness

CT for - that V4 engine, shaft drive, quality, low down grunt, Honda fit and finish
CT against - Weight, slightly higher seat, less sporty, lack of frills (suspension, dash)

I appreciate being a CT forum it may be slightly biased but thoughts/comments appreciated?

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Re: Can't decide - help needed
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:22:58 PM
 If you do a lot of miles two-up you NEED to try a DCT.

The KTM never made the grade for me cos of chain drive and reliability.

Offline Carl

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Sydney
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 12:36:11 PM
Unless you plan to do enduro riding you will not notice the weight.  It vanishes with a turn of the throttle.  Maintenance free shaft drive was an enticing feature for me.  And you cannot help but fall in love with that V4.  KTM looks nice.  Hard choice.  Good luck.   :002:

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:07:16 PM
The only person that can make the decision on what you are looking for is yourself, as you say this forum will be biased towards the CT

Personally I would suggest at least a couple of hundred miles test ride on each and then decide which is the best compromise for your needs

I dont have a DCT but i did a couple of hundred miles on one and if i was doing regular two up trips then it would be a no brainer

Good luck but please keep us updated with your thoughts  :031:

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 04:36:51 PM
I`m totally with Mika here, especially with a pillion, the DCT will save you lots of bumping helmets...
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 05:26:08 PM
Question, what's wrong with the dash?

Offline ukiboy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Vfr1200x
  • City / Town: London
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 05:35:16 PM
I rode a VFR1200 when they first came out and lovely though it was, I found the engine didn't have the instant low down oomph that I was expecting from a 1200cc bike. It seemed to need a few more revs before really taking off.
The CT addresses that as its been re-tuned for tons of low and mid range, exactly where you need it in the real world.
Take one out for a long test ride, I think you'll be impressed.
Yes, this forum may be biased towards CT's but its for good reason - they are great bikes!
You also get Honda reliability, back up and build quality  :152:

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 06:07:06 PM
Just traded my KTM990 Adv for the CT.

KTM was a great bike - but, having booked a Friday off and planned a long weekend in Wales with the missus, It decided to dump it's coolant in a supermarket carpark 40 miles from home. Only a faulty rad cap, but enough to waste both our holidays and leave us stranded for 4 hours.

I have owned 5 BMW's:
K100, Bomb proof, but horrible to ride.... No faults.

R1200 GS 05 model. Lost all electrics and servo brakes at 80 in fast lane! Crank case rear oil seal failure = New clutch and engine split £800 thank you sir.

R1200 GS 07 model. Rear drive replaced under warranty. Warped discs replaced under warranty. Fuel gauge fault. Tyre pressure sensors fault. Rear shock adjuster seized replaced under warranty.

R1150 RS 51 plate. Servo assisted brakes failed without warning leaving no brakes approaching a T junction. Shot across the road and up a grass bank. 2 days after warranty ran out -  that will be £1600 to fix sir -  No thanks - ripped the rubbish off the bike and fitted a bypass kit.

R1200 GS 08 model. Warped discs replaced under warranty (been here before!). Suddenly started drinking fuel and running 3 bars cooler, investigated under warranty - 'Everything is within tolerance sir and that will be £84 as no fault found' Never again Mr BMW!

Honda's Owned: XL100S, XL250S, XL700V, CBF600SA, NC700X, Blackbird and now the CT. Faults - One headlight bulb on the XL250S in 1980.
I have never had issue with Honda Dealers or had any doubt that when I put the key in and start the bike it will be ready to go and will get me to and back from my destination.
This along with the fact that the CT is a fantastic machine made me buy it - peace of mind is priceless!

Whatever you end up buying - enjoy it and be safe.  :001:
Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:23:30 PM by veejay

arab-exile