Author Topic: Two months what do I think  (Read 4007 times)

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: PLAYA BLANCA
Two months what do I think
on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:16 PM
I bought the CT to replace my Caponord 2008 not the new one, Blade, and CB1000R, as I'm moving to the Canaries in Sept and can take only one bike.
It needed to do everything I want a motorcycle to do over there so ended up on a CT.

I got it a year old with 4k on, I've put another 4k on her in the last two months of ownership.

First the not so good bits....

Tiz ###ing heavy to pick up when it gets dropped in the garage....275 kilos she sure ain’t no anorexic chick, my stupid fault putting it up on the centre stand the right foot of the stand was an inch lower in a crack on the floor DOH!!!!

Spares prices are nuts....£120 for one mirror and one hand guard.

Front fender extender is a must have as the engine and rad gets splattered with lots of crap.

Also radiator guard and rear hugger.

Gear changes were a bit clunky especially between 1st-2nd, this has improved immensely with mileage and now it’s really smooth with clutchless up-changes  easy.

It's a tall bike I'm 5'9'' it's ok for me, JUST!

Indicator and horn button have swapped positions to what I'm used to ie indicator is now below the horn button WTF I find myself going for the horn only to press the indicator cancel, ###ing dangerous!!!! I'm getting used to it slowly.

Mpg at first was not as good as the Caponord which was 45mpg spirited riding 48-50 in the wet, with an overall average of 47.
The CT was 42-44 when I first had her with 4k on the clock but since fitting a Leo Vince can, o2 sensor eliminators and putting some miles 8k now the engine has really loosened up and mpg's has improved.

The good stuff....
Here's what I've been getting over the last four tanks, no issues with fuelling, runs better than ever, silky smooth.
the lower figures are with some very spirited riding, upper figures are what I consider normal riding.
I do intend doing a bit of economy riding just to see what I can eek out of the Camel but always seem to get drawn into the dark side of the V4 LOL
48.7......AV= 49.2 I'm well chuffed with this as I always assumed V4's were thirsty.

The weight vanishes as soon as you sit on the bike.

First up is the motor, 1200 V4 is absolutely stunning, loads of character, grunt everywhere, open the throttle any gear any speed and it pulls and pulls and pulls.

It's quiet as a kitten on small throttle openings then as you start to open that throttle it roars like a lion some of this comes from the airbox some from the engine the rest from the can it's not loud but really addictive even with the standard can fitted.

The leo Vince I've fitted is road legal with removable baffle which I've left in for the time being, great product and half the price of an Akro.

Brakes are linked back and front with Hondas new ABS and are very powerful, the whole system works really well, I can't detect any adverse effect of the linked system unlike three Blackbirds I used to have.

Shaft drive is excellent with zero torque reaction or backlash and it's a bonus no chain to lube.

All controls are super smooth typical Honda, the throttle is very light being fly by wire, riding over some bumps it will sometimes induce a little involuntary hand movement causing a bit of surging on part throttle.
I cured this by adjusting the bars a little closer and lower to me for a more relaxed position, I think the previous owner must have had arms like an orang-utan.
Also I put a rubber o ring between the hand grip and bar end this has damped the action down without making it feel stiff.

Dash is clear with all the usual stuff, gear position indicator, av mpg, real time mpg and a miles countdown to empty are nice touches without it being too much to confuse the old grey matter. Pity no volt meter for peace of mind so I've added a Koso with a constant 14.6v at all loads.

Mirrors are very good with a clear view and no vibs.

Clutch is light and a pleasure to use.

Dunno what the headlight is like at night, the Caponord which I fitted with some bulb upgrades were great.

Weather protection is excellent which surprised me as the standard screen is quite small.

Zero turbulence on the helmet again a nice surprise after all the fuss I had with the Caponord.

I've changed the screen for a MRA vario mainly for looks as I think the standard one looks good but a little small for the bike.

Chassis is very taught and responds really well when flicking from side to side, follows a good line through corners and is very stable.

Though the suspension on standard settings is pants! I played around a lot with it but I was never really satisfied until, Veejay posted his settings.

After dialling these in it has transformed the ride quality and handling at speed.

Comfort and ergonomics are great for me and in typical Honda style it’s one size fits all it seems.

The seat is good for me, 200 miles + in one hit with no issues.

My Wife says it's the best bike she's been on! which says lots coming from her lol.

Tyres as O.E. are Bridgestone battle wings, have done 8k, bit of squaring off on the rear but the front has kept a lovely rounded profile to be changed this week but can't make my mind whether to go for Anakee3 had 2's in the past and they are good so I'm told the 3 is even better or road3's which I love to bits having had them on the Blade,Caponord and CB1000R.

So that's my two bobs worth of how two months of ownership have been.
It's certainly the best bike in class for me! I've owned two Caponords, a 1200GS and 1150GS.

I've really jelled with the CT and the more miles I do the more I want to do.
Cheers Blu

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Two months what do I think
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 03:53:15 PM
Excellent revue.

Done 12k miles on mine now and just coming up for the third set of boots. Couldn't wait to get shot of the Battle Wings, worse set of tyres I've ever had on a bike and that's after 30 odd years. The Dunlops are now on their last legs so I going to try some road tyres (PR3), for a change if nothing else.

Will dial in the recommended suspension settings this weekend and report back after a few miles.

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:20:31 PM
Pr3 rock IMO they won't leave you wanting, having had four sets on different types of bike from a Blade, CB1000R, and Caponord they suited them all.
Like you though, I fancy a change! so because I've never tried the new Anakee 3 I'll prolly put them on this week just out of curiosity.
Cheers Blu

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 10:43:51 PM
 :450:

On the tyres the PR3 are fab in the wet but after a set of Roadsmarts for my Spain trip i am tempted to go for the Roadsmart2, however the Anakee 3 is very competitive price wise so if you go for them please keep us updated
I admit they would have to be bloody good to tempt me away from a 100% road tyre  :031:

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 11:30:34 PM
I'd be going for pr3 normally but I've two months riding left in the UK with my mates, then riding the CT to Lanzerote so it'll be the harder wearing A3
Cheers Blu

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:11:38 AM
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
Will dial in the recommended suspension settings this weekend and report back after a few miles.

Keep us posted about this please. Will replace my Pirellis in a few weeks with MPR3 but need to do some work on my suspension also  :086:

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 09:45:43 AM
*Originally Posted by Nickel [+]
Keep us posted about this please. Will replace my Pirellis in a few weeks with MPR3 but need to do some work on my suspension also  :086:

Veejay's da man  :020:

Follow his settings in the "Aftermarket options for upgrading CT suspension (Hyperpro, Matris, Wilbers...)" thread.

Mod's, we need to make his settings a sticky

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 02:47:11 PM
Had a set of MA3'S fitted yesterday £165 fitted to loose wheels and the Michelin promo £25 fuel voucher  :028:

Went for a little bimble of 30 miles to scrub them in after which I let rip! They're not as good as Mpr3's as a pure road tyre but then they're not supposed to be, but they're not far behind!

Ride quality is good, turn in neutral, dry grip....couldn't get them to move or induce the traction control but it was warm and dry, they hold a line well leant right over with no feeling of the front creeping.
There's no 30 mph bar oscillation which I've had with some other makes in class.
First overall impression is I'll be pleased with them especially at the price compared to MPR3's and they should be good for more miles too.
Cheers Blu

arab-exile