Author Topic: two up touring with full luggage  (Read 1602 times)

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
two up touring with full luggage
on: July 20, 2013, 06:32:37 PM
Just returned from a week touring scotland with the wife and all her worldly belongings. Anyway just to give my opinion on riding the ct fully loaded.
Firstly this bike is pretty comfortable for both myself and wife, however 2 hours is the max before a quick stop to stretch the legs and get blood into the butt cheeks.
I didnt take much notice of petrol consumption, sorry.
I used vejays suspension settings and they worked well on normal fast roads. I would describe the bikes suspension as  fine, however on bumpy b roads the bike just copes with undulations, however i was not riding really fast.
The ct can carry a lot of weight .i.e 14 stone plus 11 stone plus a sh#t load Of uneccesary luggage and to be honest i did not notice it once we were all loaded and moving.
The ct doesnt look like bike exotica, however this is also bonus as i always new the bike would be safe and there in the morning.
Another plus of the ct is when i got the bike home, unloaded the luggage and spent all day cleaning the bike, there is not a mark on it nor have any bits fallen off. :031:

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: two up touring with full luggage
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 08:52:32 PM
You picked the right week to come to Scotland, that will be summer for the next decade! the weather we have had has been fantastic

Glad you had a good trip, Im just back after a week in Aviemore, no CT just the mountain bike to play on  :062:

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:59:18 PM
It looks as though you you had a very similar experience to me when I was up there at the end of May { wife ,fully loaded etc }. I should say on average that we stopped every 1 1/2hrs for plenty of reasons ie, fuel, coffee & cake, W.C, taking photo's, more coffee & cake  :007:. A different stop over each night, so the day's mileage wasn't huge .The longest in time, was the ride from Fort William via Loch ness to the Applecross pass then Durness on the far N/W coast.

After owning a Aprilia, and it nearly letting me down last year in Scotland, It was so nice being so far from home, and knowing that on the first push of the button ,that the  growling V4 Honda would instantly fire into life. No complaints from the wife ,especially from the way that the DCT gave here a jerk free ride, without the jerk on the front having to try too hard to keep things smooth.  :008:

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 09:15:20 PM
Sounds like a great trip! Glad the suspension settings worked for you....n :152:

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 09:23:24 PM
The roads in scotland truly are as good as any i have travelled in europe, i.e alps, pyrenees, b500 etc and its all on the doorstep, dont know why i waited so long. We stayed at glenn coe, ulapool, applecross, portree on the isle of skye and oban.

The applecross pass was scary, single road, with passing places and lots of fog. Once was enough in these conditions :034:

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 10:10:00 PM
Agree about the Applecross pass. Two up and fully loaded, hairpin switch backs. Thankfully most of the heavy traffic was heading the same way. Total commitment needed for that one, and was relieved when we had made it over the top without dropping the heavy old beast. The wife said it was the best knee trembler that she had experienced in a long while {too much info  :187:} and said she had spent most of the accent with her eyes closed.