Author Topic: Test ride on a new Caponord gave me a new perspective on the CT  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Evening guys, after being less than impressed with the ride quality of the CT i took the opportunity to have a test ride on the new Caponord today. Journalists have been hailing it as the new benchmark in comfort so i thought i should give it a blast. Picked it up from Teasdales in Thirsk and headed towards Malton, up to Pickering, across to Helmsley and back to Thirsk. The ride quality was beautiful, my old back loved it, but once up to legal speeds it felt strange, floaty, almost disconnected with no feedback from the tyres or suspension. Maybe i just needed more time to get used to it though. What really struck me was the engine. Once we were rolling along it was lovely and torquey but stuck in traffic up Sutton Bank i was having to slip the clutch in 1st to keep things smooth and rolling and in towns it wasn't much better. Typical twin. The low speed fuelling was no better than my CT either even though i tried it in sport, touring and rain modes. On the ride home on my CT i went back along part of the same route to compare bikes. The CT suspension suddenly didn't seem so bad and she flew up Sutton Bank in 3rd in sport mode as smooth as you like. No clutch slipping required with a DCT. I really enjoyed the Caponord but all i could hear in my head when i rode it was "what if the electrics go wrong" (thanks Saxon and Blumeeni for that). Really enjoyed the CT on the way home, it's easy to forget how good the bike is until you have something to compare it to. I was going to try the new KTM 1190 too but i can't see it being any less lumpy or more comfortable than the Caponord so i think i'll give it a miss. It seems that twins aren't my thing so i'll stick to triples and fours for a while longer. The V4 in the CT is a peach.  People who wont try the Crosstourer cos its a boring Honda don't know what they're missing  :110:

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Nice to have a direct comparison back to back

Had a demonstrator Multistrada at work earlier in the month and as much as it felt fast and had great suspension 3 bits fell off it

Lovely engine but probably side by side wasn't any faster than the CT, only the gearing gave it top end advantage. Too much money at 17k to take a risk

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
I thought i would love the Multistrada but it was horrible in traffic like most twins are. It always wanted to go at its own pace not mine. Its easy to say that the bike was designed for open roads not heavy traffic but if you get stuck in traffic eg. roadworks or an accident its bloody horrible to ride and the missus hated it on the pillion. You really have to test ride bikes for yourself, not rely on reviews in magazines.

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: PLAYA BLANCA
I've been trying veejays suspension settings over the last few days and I'm soooooo pleased I did!

I used his base settings then mucked about making small changes I spent all afternoon on a local road which has every kind of surface and corners you could imagine I ended up one click back from full hard on the front rebound, and gave it 1/2 a turn to hard from fully off on preload.

The rear I left on Veejays recommendation although I did try slightly different settings his worked best for me.

Thank's Veejay your a star :031:

Cheers Blu

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Terry, I hope that you didn't tell the aprilia staff that you had spoken to two ex Capo owner's who were still afraid of the good old Italian electric's. I reckon they must be relying on aprilia newbee's to shell out big bucks.
Sorry to spoil your ride  :164:

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Here's a third!
Its a pity Terry (Ey up)that you did'nt ride it long enough to determine the fuel consumption, or do you remember the read out on the dash?
I suppose with such huge pistons it must be difficult to make the fuelling smooth at low speed. Did it have the electronic suspension or is there a base model with Sachs conventional shocks?
T
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
Ey up ex Caponord owners,

I tried veejays settings and my front end was already set almost identical to his recommendations. I still find the front to be harsh over bumpy roads so more experimentation is needed there.

Saxon, i gave the Aprilia dealer yours and Blu's names and he's sending the boys round to "have a word with you" for suggesting that Italian electrics are dodgy  :038:

Sorry Trekker, i forgot to check the fuel consumption but i could have sworn that i read somewhere that it's not displayed on the dash, you can only check it with the Aprilia iphone app (perhaps thats the real time fuel consumption and the average is displayed on the dash  :027:)
The dealer said they average about 50mpg but i think he was pulling my leg as i was chatting to a 1200 Dorsoduro owner recently and his bike was down in the low 20s when ridden hard. The model i rode had the electronic suspension. When i asked him what the standard bike was like he didn't know as he wasn't getting any in. Apparently people only want the electronic suspension option so he only stocks the Touring Pack model. What i dont like about that is that it includes panniers worth £500 that i have no need for, plus the cruise control (which i would love on the CT) can only be used in certain gears and above certain speeds and cant be fine tuned so if you set it slightly wrong you have to re-set it again rather than just bump it higher or lower as you can on the Triumph Explorer. It's a pretty poor implementation of cruise control to be honest. It was a nice bike and if it had been on sale 6 months ago when i bought my CT i might have got one but as things are i wouldn't swap my CT for it.

arab-exile