Author Topic: Hi Viz clothing  (Read 5454 times)

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Hi Viz clothing
on: July 15, 2013, 09:14:54 PM
My wife is taking lessons in an attempt to pass her bike test. Out on the road with her instructor and even riding around cones in an off-road area she has to wear a hi viz vest. We were discussing the merits of hi viz and in particular the vests with POLITE printed on them and how effective they are. In my experience of wearing them it didn't stop drivers pulling out in front of me but then again there's no way of knowing how many other people didn't pull out because they did see it. I'm convinced that the POLITE vests will make people sit up and take more notice.

What are your opinions and experiences of them? 

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: Hi Viz clothing
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:48:23 PM
The Polite high viz I think was made for horse riders to try and get people to slow down
At a distance it looks like Police and tends to work
Whether it will work for a biker I don't know but I don't see any harm in trying to be more visible
My wife did her CBT in her mid 30s but decided due to the volume of traffic and the amount of idiot car drivers we have in this country that it was too dangerous for her to feel confident and so didn't actually sit her test
Good luck to your wife mate  :031:

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:58:48 PM
In my experience Terry, I only started wearing one this year for the first time on our trip to Scotland, and think that if it  stops just one vehicle  from pulling out on you and makes you more visible, then that could be the one that saves your life. Just how eye catching they are was brought to my attention yesterday, when I was walking back down to our house from the Trentside some half a mile away, when something caught my eye . It took a second or two and then realised that it was my high viz T shirt that I use for cycling hanging on the washing line. They stand out and that's a fact. Also when I'm out wearing my padded high viz jacket in winter I tend to get a few more drivers moving over for me to pass. Possibly thinking that I could be plod on a bike  :001:

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:43:19 PM
*Originally Posted by Mika [+]
My wife did her CBT in her mid 30s but decided due to the volume of traffic and the amount of idiot car drivers we have in this country that it was too dangerous for her to feel confident and so didn't actually sit her test
Good luck to your wife mate  :031:

Ah thats a shame Mika. Is there no chance of you persuading your wife to change her mind? Surely she could have ridden on quieter roads to help build up her confidence as they are more fun to ride anyway, then steadily introduce the busier routes.

Ey up Rob. Before i chose the black special edition CT i was going to get a white one as i'm convinced that the more you look like the police the more people notice you but i draw the line at fitting all those hi viz stripes etc. Plain white only as i wouldn't want to be accused of impersonating the police as thats when you risk getting prosecuted.   

Offline Acrosland

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Haworth
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:10:23 AM
Yes the 'POLITE' were done for horse riders, and they have had a bit on bad press as it was a little too much like  the real thing.

I have always used a hiviz vest, and now ride with an 'airbag' vest, which again was developed from the horse riding version.

If it gets you noticed that's the main thing...

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:50:15 PM
I stopped wearing my FLOURO stuff last year when a SMIDSY wrote off my TDM and very nearly me too!!!

I had on my Spada jacket with FLOURO panels and my FLOURO Caberg helmet but if they don't look properly they still won't see you :157:

I do 80,000 miles a year in my work van and have always noted that the GS type of riders stand out from the crowds of traffic when fitted with a pair of extra lights to make a triangle effect so that's what I did to my CT.

Fitted a pair of Givi spotlights to my crashbar and after 10,000 miles they seem to be doing their job

PS. I try to never ride after dark so i'm not interested in the 'beam pattern is wrong' argument, only in BEING SEEN  :001:

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 07:02:33 PM
*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]
I stopped wearing my FLOURO stuff last year when a SMIDSY wrote off my TDM and very nearly me too!!!

I had on my Spada jacket with FLOURO panels and my FLOURO Caberg helmet but if they don't look properly they still won't see you :157:

I do 80,000 miles a year in my work van and have always noted that the GS type of riders stand out from the crowds of traffic when fitted with a pair of extra lights to make a triangle effect so that's what I did to my CT.

Fitted a pair of Givi spotlights to my crashbar and after 10,000 miles they seem to be doing their job

PS. I try to never ride after dark so i'm not interested in the 'beam pattern is wrong' argument, only in BEING SEEN  :001:

Bloody hell, a SMIDSY smashed into the back of my TDM and nearly wrote it off, that's when i started wearing hi viz, but as Scotsy says if they don't look they won't see you no matter what you are wearing.

Offline jacob

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Windsor
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 05:27:49 AM
 :435: what is a SMIDSY ?
2012 VFR1200X CrossTourer - April 2012 - http://crosstourer.tumblr.com/

arab-exile