Author Topic: Newbie in Staffordshire (UK)  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Adromar

• Crosstourer Junior
Newbie in Staffordshire (UK)
on: July 09, 2013, 02:40:59 PM
Hi Folks :031:
Another newbie here.
I ride a CBF1000 at the moment and love it but I am thinking of up-grading to a new CrossTourer (spell checker doesn't like this) or an Explorer 1200.
I have test ridden both and liked both, so I am not sure what to do.
I love Honda's but we have a very good Triumph dealer nearby and friends who work their are trying to sway me over to Triumph.
I am looking for advice / influence etc from experienced owners, are you happy with your choice?
Does it do what you expected it to do?
Any problems to look out for?
I don't like the Honda luggage they do for the Cross Tourer!
I have some Kappa boxes I would want to fit somehow, I will make brackets if I can find somewhere to bolt to.
Looking forward to some feedback.
Cheers to all.
Adrian
Uttoxeter UK

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Re: Newbie in Staffordshire (UK)
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 02:51:07 PM
 :400: to the forum Adrian

There are a few who have recently joined after owning the Explorer so they are probably the best people to give you a direct opinion.

Plenty here have opted for after market luggage as there are problems with water getting in on the OE Honda kit which is also very expensive

Probably the biggest sway if you look through the forums for both the CT and the TEX is the Honda does not have any major problems that Triumph owners are experiencing with mechanical reliability, yes there are a few minor inconveniences with the CT but nothing in comparison to the Triumph

Personally I found it to be the most comfortable bike over distance that I have ever owned and a fantastic V4 engine that will return 50mpg when touring

This is my first Honda and was very much the under dog when testing, I was sure I would go down the Triumph route but the build quality on the Honda and its comfort put it way out in front of its competitors IMO

All I would recommend is get them both out for at least 200 miles and do your own research, it is your bike and you will need to get what is right for your own needs

keep us updated though  :031:

Offline Adromar

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 02:56:47 PM
Thanks Mika
I am just trawling the forum and I have already seen a post with a comparison to the TEX (getting into the lingo now).
I always assume that the Honda build quality would be there, but I thought I would check the forums first.
I am in no rush, so I might try to get them for half a day or so to see how they are on a run.
Cheers
Adrian

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 09:04:35 AM
 :400: to the forum.

I have also tested both the CT and the Explorer before making the purchase. But like Mika said, there are ex-owners on the forum, and I leave it to them to make the best comparison and suggestions.

I am sure you can find a way to fit your Kappas, if its not already available.

Let us know what you feel after your test rides, no matter which one you decide on.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:23:38 AM
I tested both and decided on the DCT CT but did enjoy the TEX, I love my Honda  :305:

Offline Gooner

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Dunstable
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 12:08:21 PM
I don't know whether you have tested/bought either but FWIW i had an EXP for 6 months and apart from the suspension (crap as the CT's is) i really liked riding the EXP.

I changed to a CT DCT because i have arthritis in my left hand which is painful and goes numb after even short rides also left knee (replaced) that is a problem. So i changed for those reasons but since i am really pleased that i did,after 50 years of not riding i could not have found a better bike .I can only confirm that Honda's quality is the best ,although i did not have the quality problems that some EXP owners have experienced it was a good bike.

That is of course my experience but it is obviously your choice just enjoy whatever you buy.

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 04:04:14 PM
Hi Adrian, and  :400: from Germany.

arab-exile