Author Topic: Why do we do it, do we know we are doing it???  (Read 1653 times)

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Why do we do it, do we know we are doing it???
on: July 01, 2013, 09:13:29 AM
Ok, I thought would ask a question to my fellow forum users.
Having had a few bikes over the years since the birth of the online 'Forum' I have seen the same story happening again and again. It is this...

A person is looking at buying a new bike. Probably after gleaning internet reviews on youtube and user forums.
We go and road test the bike and pick the one that we thought is the best for our needs. Now my question I this:
When you test rode your bike, in this case an CT, did you drive back to the dealers thinking that it only needs a new screen that doesn't cause my head to wobble everywhere, and I'll get the end can as this one sounds rubbish, oh and the headlights are pretty much needing an upgrade as does the luggage I will get with the bike...oh wait, I shouldn't forget to factor in the need for a new comfy seat. I'll also get the lowering kit, and hypro springs while I am at it.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that when we buy the bike of our choice, are we really happy with it from day one, and then it goes down hill after that unless we add bit by bit to it, getting a wee mental fix as we do so.

Just asking a question that's all.

What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Re: Why do we do it, do we know we are doing it???
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:27:36 AM
I think most, if not all of us don't keep a bike as it comes out of the showroom. We all want our bikes more or less personalised by adding bits and pieces, going from an indicator to a complete  new suspension.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 09:29:39 AM
Personally I have never taken a test ride and came away thinking this is the best bike I have ever ridden and there is nothing I would change about it

When I took the CT for a test it was by far the underdog of what I thought I wanted but after a couple of hundred miles on it I had made my mind up that this was the closest bike for my requirements

Yes I did change the screen, fitted heated grips, hugger, main stand, side deflectors,upgraded the headlight bulb and put on a Givi top box.

After 6.5k on it since September overall I am very happy with the bike and the mods I have done

Wish list would probably be a suspension upgrade but I can live with the standard OE and will get some mileage out of it before I consider changing it, after almost 9 years of GS ownership i knew i would struggle with anything other than the tele lever front end on the BMW. Yes there are other things that I think could be better on the CT but overall I am happy with my purchase

I dont think there is a bike out there that is mass produced for a world market that will tick all the boxes for each and every one of us, the best I think we can do is get the best compromise for our individual needs
Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 09:32:36 AM by Mika

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 09:43:02 AM
For me, it has been 2 months and 7000 kms. When I do test rides, all I care about is whether I like the general feeling I get when I ride the bike. This usually involves the following questions:

-Is the seat confortable for me?
-Is the sitting position comfortable for me?
-Do I like the bikes engine?
-Do I like to look at it?
-Does its breaking system work good enough for my liking?
-Does it handle the curves easily?
-Is it easy to handle at VERY low speeds like 5kmph?

Suspensions, what comes fitted on the bike and what I need to fit on it later are usually not my primary concerns. I think the above questions are very basic points that make or break the deal for me on any bike. If the bike ticks most of these boxes (I wouldn't give CT 5 stars on all of those, imho, but it rates highly in pretty much all of these), than I conclude this is a bike I would love to ride.

These are basic stuff that I can't change on my bike, except for the seat. And I would rather keep the original seat instead of looking for alternatives, if possible. Everything else; tyres, suspension, screen, extras and such, are secondary for me when I do the test ride.

If it ticks most of the boxes, I start smiling. When I do so, I usually end up buying that bike.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:27:18 AM
I think your replies answer my question. We buy a bike thinking we will have to make changes to it to make it better. I think it's understandable that we want to do this to our bikes. It's been going on for years...from putting on an louder can, to as far as changing frames (Triton) etc.

Strange though that in most case we wouldn't do it with a car we bought, Get some furry dice maybe:)
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 08:49:03 AM
To me, my bike is more of a tool, with which I have to do my job. Like a person in an office sets up his desk and configures his computer, I have set up my bike in such a way I can do my job best without hassles and bothers. Everything on my bike serves a purpose and it`s really function before style.
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

arab-exile