Author Topic: Engine Grunt (or Vibration) ?  (Read 3512 times)

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
Engine Grunt (or Vibration) ?
on: June 30, 2013, 09:06:04 PM
I get a real grunt from the engine in second and third gears as I rev up and accelerate...or is it vibration?...cant tell whilst riding, but is this normal with the Ct ? ...I have the manual version and just had first service so assume all is ok, but want to satisfy myself that its as it should sound !

Offline vfor

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200x
  • City / Town: Shrewsbury
Re: Engine Grunt (or Vibration) ?
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 09:34:26 PM
If it was vibration I'm sure you would feel it in some way or other, the engine note does change and appears to get deeper  ( on mine anyway ) at time at certain revs I get a real ringing in my ears even with custom ear plugs, it may that is what you are hearing, I also have the manual version, and really pleased with it..

Offline curlynot

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Nr Kings Lynn
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:25:34 AM
Could be vibration, my DCT changes sound from about 3500rpm upwards and can also be felt as vibration, this starts to make my hands go numb after a little while. It can be felt as a "buzz" through the bars at typical cruising speeds which is a pity, I'm considering taking it back to the dealer to see if they can re torque the engine bolts etc to try and stop it. Mind you if you look at some of the stuff written about the 1200F a vibration above 4000rpm is not uncommon!
Rob.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 09:40:35 AM
I get a vibration through the bars about the 4,000 rpm mark, but smooth everywhere else in the rev range.

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 10:27:59 PM
Its not really vibration, and not concerned at 4000 revs as some are stating...its more like the engine just gets very loud suddenly on the change up from 1-2 and 2-3 if this sounds right ??? Ive never had V4 before only a four in line ahich is very smooth, so not familiar with how it should sound and change.

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:07:03 AM
This is my first V4 as well and it makes a lot of weird and wonderful noises compared to an in line 4, if its just been serviced i wouldn't worry about it, but if you need reassurance take it back to the dealer and get them to listen to it  :031:

Offline Acrosland

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Haworth
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 03:08:29 PM
havent noticed any vibration, lots of good noises  :152: not much chance to get up to 4000rpm on my commute to work  :305:

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:50:32 PM
thanks guys, I feel its just different sounds to wahat Im used to then, and like you Acrosland, not much chance of 4k revs unless you get going... by which time Im at work ... bbbrrrmmm, bbbrrrmmm  :008:

arab-exile