Author Topic: HONDA Top Box  (Read 8464 times)

Offline Tango

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CrosstourerSE
  • City / Town: Sheerness
HONDA Top Box
on: June 28, 2013, 07:03:03 PM
 :455: :232: I understand that another forum user has had a problem with the Honda Top Box leaking water through the zip.
I did watch the video posted on this site and I have now  experienced the same problem.
My CT was left outside overnight in the rain (In Wales) and I rode in light rain for about 100 miles( the box was not expanded) when I arrived home and removed the inner bag I had about a teaspoon of water in the box.
I recall the other user had problems with Mr H and his warranty claim I will be phoning my dealer in the morning.
Has any one else had this problem?
Oh after keeping the speed down the an average of 60mph the fuel consumption was about 50mpg  :169:

Offline Manno

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
Re: HONDA Top Box
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:03:07 PM
I don't think Honda are accepting anymore warranty claims for the top boxes. The company they used have gone bust. Get some form of elasticated cover to go over it. Like backpackers have. A zip will always leak.
RD50LC GT185 FZR600R ZZR1100C3 CBR1100XXW XR650R VFR1200X

Offline Tango

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 07:36:32 PM
Update on the Top Box Drama.
I contacted the dealer today who said " We are aware of the problem and if you bring it down Honda have sent us a template to lay in the bottom of the box where we can drill a 6mm hole to drain the excess water!"
That wont stop the water getting in I replied!
"Honda have sent us an e-mail stating (wait for it) that they have never claimed the top box is waterproof!"
On an Adventure bike are you serious!
I'm taking the box back to the dealer to have the hole drilled but I might write to MCN!
Any suggestions folks? :230:

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 09:43:18 AM
Take them to the small claims court and they will pay up a refund.

Offline paperman

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Irvine
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 11:34:15 AM
Hi Tango
I got a good deal when buying the bike, and took the SE version with all the boxes, as I am not a big user of them. The side cases are well waterproof and I like the way they attach. The top box has leaked a couple of drops after being out in heavy rain I complained to my dealer in Glasgow and he offered the "hole in the bottom" to let it water back out again. I also complained direct to Honda, however their opinion is that it is not offered  as waterproof ( I live in the west of Scotland, only 2 dry days a year ffs!)
My opinion is that they don't have enough complaints about it. I will complain again at next service of course. I also intend to chat with trading standards about it, as really selling an adventure style bike with non-waterproof luggage is not right. In saying that, I find the top box ideal size for day runs.
I'm sure a few more on here will contribute to this

cheers

Offline Manno

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Stockton on Tees
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 01:42:33 PM
You will just get wound up trying to get the dealer/Honda to refund anything. I wouldn't want a hole drilled either. Get a Givi Trekker top box for all weather use and use the vanity case for sunny rides (if any). Offset the cost of the Givi against the good deal you got on the bike.
RD50LC GT185 FZR600R ZZR1100C3 CBR1100XXW XR650R VFR1200X

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 05:43:23 PM
I sent my video to Honda customer service (phone number supplied by my dealer) and told them I was not happy with being fobbed off, nice lady rang me back and asked how they could resolve the issue to 'my' satisfaction, my reply .."swop the vanity case for another Honda branded topbox that doesn't leak water in like a Pan euro box (made by Givi under licence)"

She ordered it there and then and replied that it would at my dealers for me to pick up on Monday morning......it was

and as they do a pan in 'digital silver' it was also colour matched to the bike and fitted straight onto the CT mounting plate

:305:

Offline Tango

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:23:23 PM
Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for your comments and advice regarding the aquarium ,sorry top box.
I took the box back to my dealer yesterday to discuss having the 6mm hole drilled as researched by the Honda R&D department and the owner confirmed that the luggage manufacturer has gone bust and they can't order anymore Honda luggage for the CT.
What are they (Honda) going to do I asked?
We don't know said an embarrassed looking salesman.
I am now considering my options and certainly be writing to Mr H.
What a sorry state of affairs! :013: