Author Topic: Crosstourer Disappointment  (Read 14540 times)

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
Crosstourer Disappointment
on: June 28, 2013, 05:35:45 PM
Just returned from a 1900 mile trip to Scotland and back on the Crosstourer and I  must say some what disappointed with its overall performance. Let me explain on the way up to Scotland bike performed well with 51mpg achieved, continued up to John O'Groats and again OK but as soon as the twisty roads started the bike became a complete nightmare, basically the suspension was not up to the tight twisty undulating roads and it soon became a battle to keep the bike from bouncing off the road. Suspension set to standard but was far to heavy and cumbersome my fellow GS riders were having a great time enjoying the bends etc I was longing for straight flat roads................. :232:

Will probably sell it now :431:

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Crosstourer Disappointment
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 05:54:26 PM
It`s a lot cheaper to upgrade to Hyperpro, I did and I love the bike.
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline ukiboy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Vfr1200x
  • City / Town: London
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 06:02:55 PM
 :172
It is a heavy old lump that's for sure and you can feel every one of the 275kg when you're throwing it around in the bends..
Surely someone like FTR suspension in Suffolk could tweak your bike to your satisfaction?
Seems a shame to chop it in just for that one reason when the rest of the bike is sound..

Offline vfor

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200x
  • City / Town: Shrewsbury
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 06:05:38 PM
You may want to spend some time setting the bike up before running it down, a little bit a  of adjustment and you should have no problems.

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: PLAYA BLANCA
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 06:08:28 PM
That's a pity but have you tried changing the settings from standard?
I've had mine a month and done 2000 miles when I first had it I was having the same issues as you.
I turned the rear pre-load up to 12 clicks with 1/2 a turn of rebound this made it turn in and hold a good line through the corner.
Next took the front rebound up by half a turn and pre-load by one ring this stopped the pattering and it copes with bumps much better.
I ride with mates on sports bikes and have no problem keeping up, ground clearance is still a bit of an issue,hanging off scrapping it's pegs with a knee on the deck is not really in keeping with this sort of bike and my mates piss themselves laughing at me doing it but it does go to show that it can handle well for a fat lass with a few tweeks.

I'm considering a hyperpro spring set which I've had on other bikes and they always work pretty well.
Cheers Blu

Offline Mika

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ayr
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 06:36:29 PM
Agree with the other posts

Try adjusting the suspension or spend a few hundred £ on upgrading it, the bike is too new to throw away money without trying to sort what you don't like about the bike

I went a run on Monday with 2 GS riders, one on a 1200 and the other on anew 1200WC, neither of them could keep pace with the CT and I am running it on standard suspension, reckon I am now used to it bouncing about a bit now

Got to admit I didn't take a shot on the WC GS in case I liked it too much, but then I remembered why I chopped in my own GS

Dont give up yet mate  :031:

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 07:55:09 PM
Just like Mika, I too run on standard suspension at around 6 clicks from the hardest rear setting when riding on my own. I ride with a Blade and a R6,and both say what a good solid line the CT takes, seemingly without any effort.

Just good look I don't know  :084:,but worth a bit of trial and error with other settings and spring's etc. For the rest of the bike is a real peach.

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 10:58:29 PM
If you want a tight steering bike, Hyperpro is the way to go. All this for a mere 300 euros... you don`t get pegs like this if suspension sucks...

`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

arab-exile