Foto0022

Views: 1667
Posted by: Red
in: Red
TKC 80

Views: 2362
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Genuine Honda Panniers  (Read 11886 times)

Offline ukiboy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Vfr1200x
  • City / Town: London
Genuine Honda Panniers
« on: June 17, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »
I appreciate the genuine Honda panniers aren't water proof and they are v expensive but apart from that does anyone here rate them highly?
I've been offered a new set for £860.00 and I like the fact they fit so well on the CT without the need for any framework or rails.
I just haven't seen any in the flesh so not sure what the quality is like. Is it similar to Givi or not as good?

Thanks for any input and opinion,

Andy

Offline PaulB

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X silver
  • City / Town: Southend-on-Sea
Re: Genuine Honda Panniers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:12:34 PM »
I have these Honda panniers/top box and as others have said they're not 100% waterproof but did find they only let in a small amount on my 4 day trip to France where it tipped it down for at least 2 of the days. At one point the bike sat outside parked up and the rain poured down for 3-4 hours. I also bought some bags which fit inside and they protect anything from whatever rain got it. I was surprised that more didn't get in the top box through the zip but seemed ok to me.
Not as good as Givi or other makes but they were on the bike when I bought it and I can't see the point of me swapping them out knowing how much it would be.
I'm with you I do like the fact they clip onto the bike so easy but don't like it that you have to use the ignition key to unlock them. I did take my spare key which made it slightly easier.
I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »
Hi Andy,

The most my panniers ever let in was literally 2 or 3 drops but that was after a weeks rain or a jetwashing of the bike

As some may know I complained to Honda about the topbox after it leaked in (it ruined a £250 camera and some maps that were inside the topbox)

I made a little video to send to them :232:

2013 02 22 15 18 22

They agreed to replace the useless 'vanity case' with a colour matched 'digital silver' box meant for the Pan European that is watertight, holds 2 x FF helmets, includes a pillion backrest, fits the same mounting plate and is made for them under license by GIVI hence I now have a red Givi key for the topbox and I use the ignition key for the panniers.

TBH I've never understood why using the ignition key seems to be frowned upon  :015:

Would anyone seriously go rooting about in the topbox or panniers with the engine running?

Why exactly do people have an issue with using the ign key for the luggage, I for one find it quite useful that all the locks use the same key (for me its now been spoiled by also needing a givi key for the topbox)

I too now have some inner bags (borrowed from an ex GS owner :172:) which are a bit less cumbersome to take into the B&B's than the actual boxes if the luggage is being used again anyway the day afterwards

Ian  :305:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:22:45 PM by scotsy »

Offline Hamish

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200X
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:41:55 PM »
Nothing wrong with the Honda ones. At this stage I only have the Top Box and am very happy with it. No water gets in unless you are hosing it. In the old days we had to put things in plastic bags before putting it in a gearsack cause they were notorious for leaking so for expensive stuff I still do it. Just in case.
Will be getting the Panniers as soon as I've paid for all the other stuff that's hanging off it.
I don't think they're plastic more like that stuff they make suitcases out of.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:51:25 PM by Hamish »
Due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.

Offline oldhand

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: silver CT
  • City / Town: Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:09:46 PM »
imho the Honda luggage suits the bike and I wouldn't really want to change it, but I suppose that the top box is a bit on the small side of useful. Like scotsy I'd only ever had a few drops of water get in and thought that it wasn't a big deal...until I was at the North West 200 last month. To say the least, the rain was torrential and  lasted for a full 24 hours. Without exaggerating (as if I would  :086:) when I turned the box upside down the next morning there was close to a litre of water to drain out. This leak was with the zip fully closed so no excuses there. Guess I'll need to start using a waterproof liner (well ok, a carrier bag) and also see what can be done about it when the bike's in for it's next service.

Offline paperman

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Irvine
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:33:19 AM »
I'm not a big user of luggage, however this year, any time I have been away on the bike, it has pissed down. I have the honda luggage, and so far the side cases have been waterproof (although I always put clothes in bin liners). The top box does let water in, but after a full night in the rain, it was a few drops. I have complained to honda via my dealer at the last service, and they have offered a mod to the top case, but I think this is merely to drain any water out. Its not a big issue for me, and I like the size of the box and the ease of mounting all cases.

Offline Hamish

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200X
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 02:44:41 AM »
Picked up the Panniers today.$1325.00 Australian...Good price.
After the key-coding process i fitted them on the bike and all's good with the world..they look like they belong. If they leak...Back to the plastic bags or maybe the Honda ones....If she'll allow it....Ha Ha.
Due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.

Offline Southern Man

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 06:53:08 AM »
Well done Hamish. Mine don't leak but the box certainly does!

arab-exile