Author Topic: Crosstourer DCT or GS or KTM 1190 A  (Read 5626 times)

Offline muscletourer

• Crosstourer Junior
Crosstourer DCT or GS or KTM 1190 A
on: June 17, 2013, 01:09:23 PM
Guys,

I have several bikes and always wanted a Sport Tourer, almost honed in on a VFR1200FD but when the road gets rough a bike with decent ground clearance is key. No point in buying a VFR1200FD plus also another 800CC adventure bike like say a Tiger 800XC or F800GS. I would rather have an all in one bike. The main reason i was going for the VFR in the first place is due to the DCT, i want a relaxed ride without worrying about changing gears all the time. I looked at the new Aprilia Caponord 1200 for its excellent fully active suspension, rode a friends bike but didnt like the way the engine felt, something was missing and its basically a Sport Tourer with long legs.

Key strengths for the Crosstourer (my take):

Engine
DCT
Semi Off-roadish ability and Sport tourer combination
Honda Quality

My worries:

285kg wet Vs the 238 of the GS
I am 5' 10.5 inches to be precise and with riding shoes on i could manage another half to an inch i guess. (I am a well built guy so no problem with handling the bike.) But not sure if its good enough to balance the bike with its 850mm seat ht.
Both the 2013 GS and the Crosstourer make the same power and torque at similar revs! With a weight advantage of 47 kilos the rationale points towards the GS or say the KTM 1190 which is more powerful and if i can install quicks shifters to either of these bikes to bridge the comfort gap as both these bikes have decent electronic suspension adjustments to make up for not having DCT.

In fact i didnt even consider the Crosstourer until two days ago and was working on a New Old Stock VFR1200FD that could come for a steal but then it occurred that there is the Crossrunner which has pretty much what im looking for i.e. DCT and semi off-road capability. Please advise. Decision making is always a tough bitch  :087:

Offline bender

• Crosstourer Member
Re: Crosstourer DCT or GS or KTM 1190 A
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:24:49 PM
Vfr 1200 D is a  hypersuperluminic speed Bike with a lot of torque in the medium range. You can't have the "oh my god, everything gets too close!!!!! " feeling on a CT like on a 1200D, but I can tell you it's better bike than caponord in everything you can compare them both. Specially speaking of reliability.
It's weight is a serious inconvenience, but,  if the bike begins to fall down,  you won't save the situation with a GS, Ktm or triumph.  it will fall down anyway. ..
if you like to ride the most modern machine,  go crosstourer...or vfr1200D

Offline ukiboy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Vfr1200x
  • City / Town: London
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 03:16:39 PM
Personally, i'd always trust a Japanese bike more than a BMW or KTM when it comes to reliability, easy of use and running costs.
Like you say, power and torque figures are similar between the GS and the CT and at similar revs but the character of the delivery will be different between a boxer twin and a V4.

If it was me making the decision i'd take a long test ride on all three and see which you like best.
I do most of my riding in the UK and there are more Japanese main dealers and independent dealers here so i'm always confident  that I will find help should my bike break down. That's another thing to consider before buying a bike - what is the back up like should you encounter problems..

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 03:36:04 PM
Once you get to appreciate the DCT there`s really no way back, you just pull away when others are still shifting, quite a lot of fun, I must say.
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 05:25:57 PM
Agree with Bender here, if any tall tourer goes to fall, you will not hold them up.
After a few weeks of ownership of a CT the weight issue fades away. My previous Caponord was lighter than the CT but it carried its weight higher and was more difficult to shuffle around in the garage.
The BMW will probably be more economical than the CT, but its initial price will offset this.
The BMW will offer more gizmos and accessories if that's your thing also.
Another small consideration is the cost of tyres on the BMW, they're a new size and only a few suitable brands exist, so your range is limited and prices will be higher.
The Aprilia falls down badly ( in my area at least)for dealer locations ( there are none!) and lots of talk of heavy fuel consumption.
The KTM ticks a lot of good boxes but if you don't like a Aprilia 1200 twin, It might be the same here. It is hard to make 2 huge 600 cc pistons smooth and fuel correctly at low speed. The CT V4 is a better in this area. KTM is too expensive in this company also.
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:16:32 PM
I'm with J-P on the DCT system, it's worth getting the CT just to have the DCT.

I'm 5' 11" and the height of the bike is about the limit for me. If it starts to go over, that weigh is taking it whatever I do. I don't know how I'd get it back off the ground.

I'm loving the V4 and the DCT - and my next bike will have DCT too - but how long will it be before others start offering it?

A GS with DCT?  :084:

Offline bender

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 08:47:52 PM
ah, don't forget how long a 4 cylinder engine lasts, compared to a 2 cylinder one... Or not?

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 08:51:28 PM
I rode 330K kms with my first ST1100 Pan European. I sold it 10 years ago an it`s still running... just so you know how long Honda V4 engines last...
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

arab-exile