Author Topic: Electric problem ?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
Electric problem ?
on: June 15, 2013, 06:01:04 PM
I had changed my head light (low beam) with a Xenon kit. After a month (maximum month and a half) it died. I returned it to the webshop it came from saying that this wasn't normal and they send me another kit because there was 2 year warranty on the kit. Took a month to receive the new one  :232: but it arrived this week. Was planning to put it in these weekend when yesterday my head light (normal H7 lamp i have put back) died also, they don't live long in this CT.
This made me suspicious and prior to putting back the xenon kit i measured the voltage on the low beam head light. 12 volt and something with only the contact on, engine not running. When i started the engine you see the voltage drop (=normal) but when the engine runs the voltage goes up to 14,4 volt and it stays there. Could this be the cause of my lamps dying so quickly ? 14.4 volt seems very high and not healthy for my CT or is it the same with you others and is the funeral of my xenon kit and other lamp just a coincidence ?

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Re: Electric problem ?
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:15:07 PM
14.4V is fine for the bike - it can go up to 16.8V in some charging systems (2.8V is the maximum voltage per cell for a fully charged lead/acid cell - 6 x 2.8V = 16.8V) - so 14.4 is quite low as a charging voltage - but it will keep the battery topped up OK.

12V lamps are designed to work with these higher voltages - so this shouldn't be the reason they are dying. The 14.4V is certainly not a problem for the bikes systems. Maybe vibration is causing the lamps to die prematurely - I know I have a bit more vibration on the front end than I would like.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 03:16:50 PM
A healthy/charged battery without anything connected to it should show 12.6 or 12.7 volts, around 12volts only shows weakness or discharge.
As the Doc says - 14.4 is around normal with the engine running.
I think the CT has a old style shunt type and not a Mosfet type rectifier fitted which does'nt help voltage stability, but ordinary bulbs are designed to cope with this variation in voltage. I have'nt enough experience with Xenon high voltage packs in the auto field (I have many years in the electrical end with street/flood lighting etc) to comment.
Is it a recognised manufacturer or a Chinese product?
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 04:25:54 PM
I just installed a Xenon on friday, and bought it here :

http://www.well-done-xenon.be/Webwinkel-Product-60923/Well-Done™-WS08-Xenonkit-motor.html

On the specs I see that  the input voltage can go from 9V to 16V.
Hope mine will live longer than 1 1/2 month. But be shure that i will report here if I have the same problem.

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:45:48 AM
My Xenon kit in my previous motorbike has never failed for 75000 km. Was still working ok then but sold the deauville to buy my Crosstourer  :031:

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 09:03:58 AM
You're not handling the bulbs with bare fingers are you ?

The oil on your hands will cause premature bulb failure every time.

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 10:45:41 AM
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
You're not handling the bulbs with bare fingers are you ?

The oil on your hands will cause premature bulb failure every time.

Nope, i'm not blond on the inside  :008: