Author Topic: 635 miles in one day  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
635 miles in one day
on: June 11, 2013, 10:11:01 AM
Just been to Lake Constance and back in southern Germany.

Went for a week and met a few mates down there. I was going to do the trip down over a couple of days but in the end thought "sod it, I'll do it in one go"

Home to the Channel Tunnel is only 80 miles so that bit was easy. Then came the hard slog on the French motorways down to Strasbourg. Head down and tried to keep the speed to just under 100 leptons. The CT was just cruising.

Still got a fair bit of buffeting which made it all harder even with a Givi Ariflow. Someone really needs to come up with some winglets which I'm convinced would resolve the problem.

Then came the fun bit of the final 120 miles to my destination which is mainly fast sweepers through the hills. And just when I started the rain came. Absolutely lashed it down for 2hours non stop. So hardly the fun I was expecting.

Left home  at 4.30 in the morning and pulled into Markdorf Germany at 6pm very tired, very wet and very cold.

Spent the following week thrashing round the mountains with the highlight being the B500. If you're ever down that neck of the woods this road just south of Baden- Baden is one of the greats. A must do.

Got nicked for speeding by a German copper mid week 135kph in a 70 limit. He relived me of 140 Euro's which was a bummer but could of been worse I suppose.

The CT behaved faultlessly all week and had little trouble staying with the 1000cc crotch rockets in the group.

On Saturday I did the return trip in much finer weather. Left at 7 in the morning to do the return 635 miles and was back home on the sofa with a beer by 6pm Although what with the change in times Zones I did gain an hour. Total milage for the trip 2467 miles.

Even saw a CT going in the opposite direction somewhere near Lake Constance mid way through the week.

Bought one of those throttle rockers at a local bike shop whilst there which I used to great effect on the way back and would really recommend one if you've got a long motorway jaunt to do.
Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:28:17 AM by Harry H

Offline PaulB

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X silver
  • City / Town: Southend-on-Sea
Re: 635 miles in one day
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 01:25:37 PM
Sounded a blast Harry, especially when dry, shame about the speeding but as you say could of been worse. Have you just got the standard seat or did you use something like an AirHawk?
I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:04:35 PM
Just the standard seat which although I have suffered in the past with the inevitable arse ache on other bikes I found the CT to be pretty good.

Plenty of room to move around and do things like hook my feet over the passenger pegs to relieve the stress occasionally.

When the traffic slowed down it's also easy to ride standing up for a while on the CT which helps.

As I said above the buffeting was the most tiring aspect overall. The only way of being truly comfortable for 2 hour stretches at close to the ton is to be sat in a car I suppose.

Offline wheeledwidewebb

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:33:59 PM
Strange, I rode straight back to to tunnel from the Hotel Traube in Markdorf in 2010. On a Pan though :305:

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:46:05 PM
Those trottle rockers are great, but as soon as you leave the highway, remove it.
This ride by wire is so sensitive!

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 05:03:27 PM
*Originally Posted by Barbancourt [+]
Those trottle rockers are great, but as soon as you leave the highway, remove it.
This ride by wire is so sensitive!

:169: I learnt that lesson pretty quick when negotiating the ramp onto the train. First time I've used the traction control :008:
Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:05:57 PM by Harry H

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 05:19:15 PM
Nice one. A friend and I are planning to do the same mileage in a day around Scotland. Not sure what bike yet, might be the CT or it might be the Tuono (Tuono has rear sets fitted).....ouch!!! haha
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 05:32:25 PM
*Originally Posted by slomogadgie [+]
Nice one. A friend and I are planning to do the same mileage in a day around Scotland. Not sure what bike yet, might be the CT or it might be the Tuono (Tuono has rear sets fitted).....ouch!!! haha

I too have a CT and a Tuono with rearsets. Certainly wouldn't want to do a 600 mile day on a T, there's no way my arse could take it :008:

arab-exile