Author Topic: My First 600  (Read 4170 times)

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
My First 600
on: June 07, 2013, 12:41:09 AM
Hello Folks,

In for its first service tomorrow. A little over 600 miles. So, so far...

THE GOOD:

Monster Engine. That's coming from a full Akra'd /PCIII'd GSX1400.

The way it carries its weight. Easily slung about. Thin tyres and wide bars?

Shaft. Don't notice it. Zero maintenance. (10-12K new C&S on the last bike)

The noise. Dirty, rough and growly. Very different. Not heard it scream yet.

Seamless DCT acceleration. No need to change throttle position. Just keeps on giving.

Playstation controls for changing gears. Clever Sports mode into corners in the twisties, flick the thumb change for more engine braking.
  I thought the gearbox would be like a normal auto car. Nope. No need to hold brake at the lights. Even in manual slowing to a stop it goes into 1st. Only goes when you touch the throttle.

THE BAD:

Arse ache. Very sit up and beg. I roll back onto my (crushed) coccyx under big acceleration. Balls of feet on pegs helps. Anybody rolled their bars back?

Wind noise. Its bloody loud. My naked was silent in comparison. Will stuff some spare earplugs under the seat and maybe adjust the screen up. 6'2" and wind hits chin.

Very easy to speed in Drive mode in town. Using manual or Sport keeps the speed in check.

And finally, its a wee bit weird in town not being able to blip the throttle for daft lemming-like pedestrians.

Enough ramblin', some pics from this week...

images now dead

Offline Carl

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: My First 600
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 06:04:18 AM
Very nice in black!   :152:

I've had the one ride with my new Givi Airflow screen and it makes a lot of difference having a taller screen.

Enjoy the bike.  It's awesome.   :001:

Offline wheeledwidewebb

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 07:06:32 AM
+1 for the airflow.

I always use earplugs but I can genuinely ride without them - I still do mind, better safe than sorry.

And yeah, couldn't agree more, need to be tilted forward more, too much weight on my bum. What's the answer, I thinking about trying to remove the bar risers  :114:

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:07:15 AM
It is amazing how I can still go "wow, beatiful bike" after seeing hundreds, maybe thousands of similiar photos.

Wow, beautiful bike  :028:
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Allroadtoad

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 08:48:35 AM
*Originally Posted by andyrob [+]
Hello Folks,

THE BAD:

Arse ache. Very sit up and beg. I roll back onto my (crushed) coccyx under big acceleration. Balls of feet on pegs helps. Anybody rolled their bars back?   Mine are set a little bit back, yes. Doesn`t help the arse though ;)

Wind noise. Its bloody loud. My naked was silent in comparison. Will stuff some spare earplugs under the seat and maybe adjust the screen up. 6'2" and wind hits chin. I have an MRA screen, no problems, actually like the bit of buffeting otherwise I`d loose my license

Very easy to speed in Drive mode in town. Using manual or Sport keeps the speed in check.

And finally, its a wee bit weird in town not being able to blip the throttle for daft lemming-like pedestrians. Now, don`t laugh: BiCYCLE BELL, works like a charm!
`12 VFR1200X Silver
`98 DR650SE

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 05:20:55 PM
The seat could be better, but I've sat on worse. A bagster seat is on the cards in the winter - because I have to wait 4 weeks to get the seat back.

Offline Acrosland

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Haworth
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 10:01:53 PM
 Have to agree with the speed side :305:

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 10:30:08 AM
Cheers for the tips lads. Yes even the bicycle bell! A comedy classic.  :062:

Stuck on a tankpad and will order an R&G rad guard as I have learnt the hard way. 1000's of miles from home with a split oil cooler!  :003:

arab-exile