Author Topic: Riding in completely the wrong gear !  (Read 6325 times)

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Riding in completely the wrong gear !
on: June 04, 2013, 04:51:41 PM
So discovered something I can do on a DCT Crosstourer that would be hard to do on any other manual Bike. I've been riding in flip flops !! Yes I know I know it's not very safe to ride with those with just shorts and a tee shirt but its bloody hot here today and I needed to pop to local shops so I thought sod it, I'll go dressed as I am. I've ridden in similar gear when on holiday abroad and have hired out a scooter so I thought well I'll go real steady (no getting my knee down) and off I went. Was lovely out in the sun with nice breeze, got some funny looks from bikes fully clad in their one piece leathers and globe trotting biking survival suits :D

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Re: Riding in completely the wrong gear !
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:33:14 PM
I sometimes venture out locally wearing jeans and shoes/trainers but don't think I would risk flip-flops   :182:

Each to their own though  :305:

Offline Doc

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Arsbeck
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:08:12 PM
...and I guess, as you don't really need a left hand, you could text while you're riding - like many car drivers  :232:

Don't suppose anyone snapped you in your flip-flops?

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 08:16:47 PM
*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]
I sometimes venture out locally wearing jeans and shoes/trainers but don't think I would risk flip-flops   :182:

Each to their own though  :305:

I'll not make a habit of it , just did it and after thought oh that was different.

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:18:51 PM
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]
...and I guess, as you don't really need a left hand, you could text while you're riding - like many car drivers  :232:

Don't suppose anyone snapped you in your flip-flops?

Who knows, look out for me in MCN and as for texting with my left hand, I can't do two things at once as I use that for picking my nose ;-)

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 08:54:25 PM
This reminds me of a situation last summer.
Firstly I'll say that I try to buy the best gear (PPE) I can afford at the time. Boots, jackets, gloves etc...and I almost always wear it.
However, on sunny day last summer Fifi suggested that we contact another couple who were friends of hers, and ask if they wanted to go for a run to a nearby bike meet. Of course I agreed that this was a splendid idea, and promptly started getting the bike out and ready etc. Knowing that Fifi takes a good 15-20 minutes to get her gear sorted out, I decided to use the time to get the bike topped up. The petrol station is only about 500metres away, so I thought I'd risk the shoort run with just sambas and t shirt/jeans combo. I did however wear my Handriods. I got fuel and was just coming out of the garage when two bike passed. I gave them a wave and continued to wait for a break in traffic.
When I got back to the house, guess what! Yes, the two bikers were Fifi's friends. The husband (who was riding some sort of fancy BMW tourer) proceeded to give me a bit of a hard time...saying he could'nt believe his eyes when he saw someone on a motorcycle with just a t shirt and trainers. Fair comment you may think....until I noted his riding gear. He was wearing a nylon windcheater jacket, jeans, no gloves (heated grips) and hush puppies.
Funny how he thought his gear was safer then mine even though we were away to ride 50 miles each way, and speeds I later found to be well over the limit.
I think the point I'm trying to make is this. Motorcycles are a risky form of transport or/and hobby. You have to reveiw and weigh up the risks before you get on the thing. In this case the other guy reckoned my 500mtr - 25mph dowdle in t shirt was a higher risk than his hush puppy blast over 100miles.
I would be interested in your thought on this :)
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:24:18 PM
*Originally Posted by slomogadgie [+]
This reminds me of a situation last summer.
Firstly I'll say that I try to buy the best gear (PPE) I can afford at the time. Boots, jackets, gloves etc...and I almost always wear it.
However, on sunny day last summer Fifi suggested that we contact another couple who were friends of hers, and ask if they wanted to go for a run to a nearby bike meet. Of course I agreed that this was a splendid idea, and promptly started getting the bike out and ready etc. Knowing that Fifi takes a good 15-20 minutes to get her gear sorted out, I decided to use the time to get the bike topped up. The petrol station is only about 500metres away, so I thought I'd risk the shoort run with just sambas and t shirt/jeans combo. I did however wear my Handriods. I got fuel and was just coming out of the garage when two bike passed. I gave them a wave and continued to wait for a break in traffic.
When I got back to the house, guess what! Yes, the two bikers were Fifi's friends. The husband (who was riding some sort of fancy BMW tourer) proceeded to give me a bit of a hard time...saying he could'nt believe his eyes when he saw someone on a motorcycle with just a t shirt and trainers. Fair comment you may think....until I noted his riding gear. He was wearing a nylon windcheater jacket, jeans, no gloves (heated grips) and hush puppies.
Funny how he thought his gear was safer then mine even though we were away to ride 50 miles each way, and speeds I later found to be well over the limit.
I think the point I'm trying to make is this. Motorcycles are a risky form of transport or/and hobby. You have to reveiw and weigh up the risks before you get on the thing. In this case the other guy reckoned my 500mtr - 25mph dowdle in t shirt was a higher risk than his hush puppy blast over 100miles.
I would be interested in your thought on this :)
Well I have all the gear anyone could ask for, summer, winter, wet etc however today I couldn't be arsed. I did moderate my riding accordingly, slow steady speeds and correct distances, all the shoulder and life saver checks you could ask for. Infact I'd go as far to say that I rode better than I had in a long time as I was more at risk because of lack of PPE. As for your mate, well not the best thought out plan and he didn't seem to moderate his riding style accordingly.

(I'll not make a habit of it)
Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:31:47 PM by cozmo1589

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 09:26:46 PM
Boots, gloves, helmet, jacket, pants. Each of them being the best I can afford... and I CAN afford quite much.

I have been riding for 7 years only. And when I started riding, I had no friend around to tell me how to gear up properly (but since then I made a few friends start riding motorbikes, and I told them a million times how to gear up properly).

Initially, I bought a helmet, a jacket and gloves. I used to believe I was protected very well. Until I had a minor fall and couldn't walk properly for a month. No damage on any bones, just because I injured my God-knows-what-they-are-called-in English which were fundamental to properly moving your feet. Then I thought to myself "damn I am injured so heavily from even that???". I was probably riding at less than 30kmph when I fell.

I quickly bought boots. Pants followed soonafter.

Now, there have been a few times when I did that 500m run to the market or shop or some neighbour without my gear on. And I felt naked and vulnerable. Its a very unsettling feeling when you are used to that robocop kinda feeling when riding your bike.

As for your question, I do not think your friend is aware of the risks riding a motorbike brings with it slomogadgie. No gloves is a no no. And thats not my humble opinion, its one of the few things I would call a "fact" in this world. And I won't bother with that jacket-jeans combo.

I do not understand the people who can afford a bike and can't/dont/are unwilling to buy quality protective gear. I can understand riding that 500 m ride you do (I do those myself every once in a while), but the guy spoke of takes a much higher risk.
Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:29:16 PM by Eltar
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

arab-exile