Author Topic: stiff knob!  (Read 1579 times)

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
stiff knob!
on: June 04, 2013, 04:06:14 PM
Help me knobs gone stiff! :012:..............................no not that one the rear Suspension ajust knob, tried to turn it this morning only two klick's  any body else got/had this problem :020:

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Re: stiff knob!
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:57:43 PM
Mines in Blackpool Honda right now due to the pre-load adjuster knob seizing up. When I tried to add an extra click of preload in Scotland a couple of weeks ago (due to being fully luggaged up) I couldn't manage it as it wouldn't budge!!

I've since found out that it is a common problem on the VFR1200F (on which the CT frame and suspension is based) and when I dropped the bike in last weekend the service guy said they had changed a few VFR1200F rear shocks under the warranty scheme.

I am trailering the bike home next weekend and removing the 'warranty replacement shock' to sell on (not had confirmation of acceptance just yet) and replacing it with a full Hyperpro rear shock absorber unit to hopefully stop the rear end 'wallowing' on fast sweeping bends. I am also doing the forks with the Hyperpro replacement progressive springs/oil.

I ordered the basic (adjustable by 'C' spanner pre-load rings) version as the Hyperpro 'remote adjuster' version was nearly £300 dearer but I'm getting both ends upgraded at a cost of less than £500 whereas the Honda rear shock alone is almost a GRAND to buy

Allroadtoad and others have recommended the Hyperpro stuff from personal experience of using it and I also have a couple of mates who swear by the Hyperpro brand

I have had to 'fettle' suspension on cracking bikes before and can only say it is well worth the effort and expence, much cheaper than swopping bikes to chase the holy grail of a good handling machine  :305:

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:52:56 AM
Just off the phone to my dealer and my rear shock IS being changed by Honda under the warranty scheme

Better keep twiddling those KNOBS regularly boys to try and prevent them from seizing up in one position  :305:

Offline grahew

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Honda CT
  • City / Town: Evesham
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 04:50:40 PM
*Originally Posted by scotsy [+]
Just off the phone to my dealer and my rear shock IS being changed by Honda under the warranty scheme

Better keep twiddling those KNOBS regularly boys to try and prevent them from seizing up in one position  :305:

Thanks for the update still a great bike even with a doggy knob! :745:

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 05:24:41 PM
*Originally Posted by grahew [+]
Thanks for the update still a great bike even with a doggy knob! :745:

I love mine ..............

and the bike ain't bad either  :745: :745: :745: