Random Gallery Image

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Adjusting Suspension from New  (Read 33699 times)

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
Adjusting Suspension from New
« on: June 03, 2013, 10:36:32 PM »
Got my new CT and only ridden it about 300 miles so far...I am ignorant regarding suspension settings but would like to set it up with advice from those who may know. Sat on a Triumph Tiger 800 XC yesterday and the seat and rear suspension went right down slowly, very nice feeling to think of this whilst riding, though my CT does not feel soft at all, and also feels like the front is quite hard over even small potholes etc... What do I do, and where do I start ? ... thanks guys.

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Re: Adjusting Suspension from New
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 01:16:33 PM »
How, do.

New suspension will take a few more miles to fully bed in. Depends on the roads you ride, how you ride them and your weight.

I'm at a little over 600miles, a little over 14 stone and went up two clicks of rear preload for starters.

Not been over 5000rpm but I imagine when I am able to use all the engine I will have another twiddle.

I have to say I was surprised at how well damped it is standard but as I say I have not been giving it big licks.

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: PLAYA BLANCA
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:04:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by GeofftheChef [+]
Got my new CT and only ridden it about 300 miles so far...I am ignorant regarding suspension settings but would like to set it up with advice from those who may know. Sat on a Triumph Tiger 800 XC yesterday and the seat and rear suspension went right down slowly, very nice feeling to think of this whilst riding, though my CT does not feel soft at all, and also feels like the front is quite hard over even small potholes etc... What do I do, and where do I start ? ... thanks guys.

You'd do a lot worse than have a look here https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,2029.0.html  at VJ's post on his settings.
there's quite a few of us have tried them and are really pleased.
You'll prolly have to tweak it slightly depending on your own preferences but they're a great starting point.
I fannied around with hondas settings a little this way, a little that but nothing felt great and I didn't really get anywhere till I tried VJ's settings
Cheers Blu

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »
From my perspective, I've done around 2.5k now and not felt the need to mess with the factory setting, the bike rides faultlessly whether its 1 or 2 up and I can't imagine improving on its ability by messing with anything, everything seems to have bedded in and the bike is a complete joy to ride and own ;-)

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
I found these settings work for me:

Front forks:
1, Wind preload nuts (14mm spanner) fully anti clockwise to set the springs at their softest setting.

2, Wind the rebound damping screws fully clockwise and then back them off anti clockwise 1 or 2 clicks.

These settings reflect the fact that the front springs seem too hard, and the rebound damping too weak. The logic being that the softer spring setting allows the spring to ride the bumps and the rebound damping is near max to stop the spring returning to its
normal postion. This stops the harsh feeling from the front end.

Rear suspension:

1, Wind preload hand wheel fully clockwise and then back off 5 clicks anti clockwise for solo and 3 clicks two up (1-2 clicks with full luggage etc).

2. With a very stubby flat blade screw driver, screw the rebound adjuster screw fully clockwise.  then back off by 3/4 of a turn anti clockwise.

All this takes about 10 minutes.

These settings make the back end of the bike sit up and slightly and transforms the handling in all situations.

It is so easy to change these settings and you can easily put things back to stock (the settings are in the handbook).

If I hadn't adjusted mine I might well have been buying an aftermarket solution - as it is, they will do me.

Have fun! Enjoy your new bike  :001:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:46:57 PM by veejay »

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »
Cheers. Bookmarked!

I have been running the back end jacked up, 3 off max preload but it is good to have a rough idea where to start to get rid of the harsh front.

Offline blumeeni

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: PLAYA BLANCA
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 03:11:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by veejay [+]
I found these settings work for me:

Front forks:
1, Wind preload nuts (14mm spanner) fully anti clockwise to set the springs at their softest setting.

2, Wind the preload screws fully clockwise and then back them off anti clockwise 1 or 2 clicks.

These settings reflect the fact that the front springs seem too hard, and the rebound damping too weak. The logic being that the softer spring setting allows the spring to ride the bumps and the rebound damping is near max to stop the spring returning to its
normal postion. This sops the harsh feeling from the front end.

Rear suspension:

1, Wind preload hand wheel fully clockwise and then back off 5 clicks anti clockwise for solo and 3 clicks two up (1-2 clicks with full luggage etc).

2. With a very stubby flat blade screw driver, screw the rebound adjuster screw fully clockwise.  then back off by 3/4 of a turn anti clockwise.

All this takes about 10 minutes.

These settings make the back end of the bike sit up and slightly and transforms the handling in all situations.

It is so easy to change these settings and you can easily put things back to stock (the settings are in the handbook).

If I hadn't adjusted mine I might well have been buying an aftermarket solution - as it is, they will do me.

Have fun! Enjoy your new bike  :001:

VJ you need to amend number 2. on the front forks bit mate  :211: :008:
Cheers Blu

Offline veejay

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »
Cheers Blue,
You are correct! totally - corrected now.
Should have been rebound screws not preload screws (+ a few typos corrected)....

Don't forget the sag ;)