Author Topic: The Adventurer's Tale  (Read 4407 times)

Offline Black Bob

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR800X (Black)
The Adventurer's Tale
on: June 01, 2013, 09:34:58 AM
The weather having taken a turn of the better, I took the Crosstourer for a pootle along the B1248 yesterday afternoon (Humber Bridge/Malton road). Usually, middle-aged men on sports bikes use this road as a race track; but they must have all gone for a lie down yesterday because the only bikes I saw were fully-kitted-out BMW adventure bikes - four or five groups of four or five bikes - all riding zombie-like in the opposite direction. I nodded; I raised a glove; I waved enthusiastically: absolutely NO reaction from any of them. When I have been treated with contempt by BMW owners in the past it has been because they have obviously assumed I either can't afford a BMW, or am not 'man enough' to ride one. I think what upsets them now is that, with the Crosstourer, I can clearly do both; but have CHOSEN not to. I pulled in at the Fimber cafe (for those of you who know it) for a coffee and a cake. The car park had its usual high number of classic bikes - including a Norton rotary, and a nice MSS Velo. As an ex-velo-man myself I had an interesting chat with the rider about the charms of Velocette ownership. When I got back I browsed my way through a few on-line reviews of the new CB500X. Somewhere in all those words was a description of a typical adventure-bike rider as a middle-aged dreamer, stomach resting on the tank, nipping out to the shops; but fully intending to set off on that big adventure - if not this year, then certainly next year. Actually, that description is a bit too close for comfort; but it got me thinking.

Those of us on the road to Fimber yesterday were all out for a ride in the sun. The difference between the Classic bikers and the BMW set seemed to be that the Classic bunch were enjoying it. Then a spam email arrived from Touratech advertising, what they called, their 'June Experience'. For £200 you can go on an adventure with Nick Saunders. I quote: 'in the real spirit of adventure you will stay in Yurt's and a Timbuktu Trailer cabin' - Friday to Sunday, in South Wales. It seems to me that this whole adventure nonsense has got out of control. Not so long ago, and I swear this is true, one of the BMW clan told me they didn't really like the Fimber cafe BECAUSE THE CAR PARK GOT TOO MUDDY.

I am beginning to suspect we have all been sold an 'adventure biker's' suit of clothes by the manufacturers and the motorcycle press, just as SOME of us were sold a 'road racer's' suit of clothes when they were peddling 600cc sports bikes. In fact the reason there were no sports bikes on the B1248 yesterday afternoon is probably because they've all been swapped for those BMW adventure bikes I was waving at. We're all standing about looking like orphans from the Dakar Rally, when all we really want to do is pootle over to Fimber for tea and cake (it is exceedingly good cake). The feeling of inadequacy that keeps me awake at night, that I really ought to be hauling the bike across Outer Mongolia, is something generated by the biking press. I'm going to fight against it. The great thing about the Crosstourer is that Honda have resisted getting drawn into the full 'off-road' fantasy. It is true that it has an 'adventure' styling; but it takes the comfortable riding position of a tourer/adventurer and avoids the excesses. I've given my 'patchwork' adventure jacket to an 'air ambulance' charity shop, and I've stopped wearing my fancy Shoei helmet with the peak on it - although those cakes at Fimber are making it a little more difficult to trim that waistline.

Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:47:29 AM by Black Bob

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Re: The Adventurer's Tale
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:12:41 PM
Nice effort Bob

(I like cakes too) :305:

I've been trying to buy some 2 piece leathers in a 'touring style', just a plain 'over the boot' leg

I'm either offered multi coloured crotchrocket style with knee sliders (closely followed by arse , elbow and head in my case) or what can only be referred to as 'Tw@t suits'

i'm sorely tempted to dig some of my old kit out to wear to the Alps at end of June

:305:

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:58:33 PM
haha very good post and one that makes me think. Funny enough I went to the West Cost of Scotland a few weeks ago with Fifi on the back. Used both panniers to caurt aw the stuff. More than once over the weekend it crossed my mind if other bikers thought I was some sort of 'Charlie/Ewan" wanna be...which I'm not. A friend of mine has stopped waving to GS owever because he thinks they have all the gear and only go to the shops for a paper and a tim of Bounce for their Golden Labs. I don't want to be thought of like that. I use the bike in all weathers and love going away for runs just for the sake of it...the longer the better.

Scotsy.....HG do waterproof leather 2 piece kit called "Rocket". I have it and really like it. Too warm for me most of the time though. It is over boot type. It comes in at aboot 600 bangers for the set, but I feel it's worth it.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:42:22 PM
[. Not so long ago, and I swear this is true, one of the BMW clan told me they didn't really like the Fimber cafe BECAUSE THE CAR PARK GOT TOO MUDDY.

It sounds as though they would be better suited to the Seaways Cafe at Fridaythorpe , on the York to Driffield road,as there is a fully tarmaced car park ,and not a muddy hole in site  :745:

After my BIG adventure around the fair land of Scotland and the lakes last week, I will be riding over hills and through valleys tomorrow ,to have a coffee and bacon buttie at Willingham woods at about 11.00 am . So if you are in the area Bob :028:

Offline Telbert

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDCT
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:10:59 PM
Interesting post Bob  :028:

"Adventure" is just a label. The manufacturers and press like all bikes have to have a label. Sports, tourer, sports tourer, naked, commuter, etc. Obviously there is some crossover with any bike and this is what has happened with the CT. Visually it most closely resembles an adventure bike and that is why it has been stuffed into that category.

Everyone is jumping on the adventure bandwagon because there is money to be made. Look at the amount of companies that have sprung up offering tours to all corners of the globe. Every adventurer has released books and dvds chronicling their adventures. How many manufacturers out there are producing parts and accessories to fit to your bike to make it even more capable of tackling any adventure. It's become a big money business because the guys buying these things are the ones with the disposable income. They only want you to go to Mongolia so someone somewhere can get their hands on some of your money. Don't fall for it. Go where you want, when you want and if you do it by bike rather than by car then good on you  :028:

The reason i bought my CT is because it's fast enough to be exciting, reliable (touch wood) and comfortable enough to leave me feeling fresh as a daisy when i get to my destination. If there is a bike out there that does those things better than my CT i haven't found it yet. My destination is usually somewhere with a selection of pies and pastries. Keep your treks across the desert, there are no pies and pastries there and it's too bloody hot.     

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 10:13:20 PM
*Originally Posted by Telbert [+]
My destination is usually somewhere with a selection of pies and pastries. Keep your treks across the desert, there are no pies and pastries there and it's too bloody hot.   

LOL!:)
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 10:31:26 PM
Ey up Terry.Did you partake in a pastry while down at Grantham this morning ? I hope they got the grips sorted as It's gonna be another scorcher tomorrow.    :112: :123:

Offline Huncadrew

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 12:32:13 AM
I am definately  with Telbert on this one 8)

arab-exile